"Berlin has everything - safe money" Berlin by Turtleshell
Berlin Travel Guide: 7,093 reviews and 16,174 photos
When I moved to Berlin in 1995, I actually had a hard time settling down. Compared to Hamburg, people seemed to be rude and somewhat alienated.
But since 2000, things have changed quite dramatically. People are now more open, friendlier and seem to have developed a certain civic pride. If only the city became cleaner ...
What you'll find here, are some tips I have collected so far for you visitors, and I'm very much hoping they help you enjoy your stay. I can't be bothered to be # 3,512 to introduce Berlin's main sights, such as Brandenburg Gate or the Island of Museums, though.
When you come to Berlin, don't let the first impression fool you. The airports are a joke, and most of the city was bombed into rubble. Cheap apartment buildings, quickly built after the war, can still be seen everywhere and aren't exactly eye-candy.
Still, the city, famous for reinventing itself time after time, provides something for everyone, even very beautiful spots and nature. And as far as history, culture and nightlife are concerned, Berlin ranks among the top cities in Europe if not the world.
- Pros:Diverse, uh... 'interesting' history, interesting architecture, comparatively affordable
- Cons:History. Lots of ugly buildings from the post-WWII period.
- In a nutshell:In the words of Berlin's major: "Poor but sexy".
The verb stolpern means as much as to stumble or to fall over something, in this case a copper (cobble-)stone which... more travel advice
This walk is roughly 2 miles (3.5 km) long, depending on which route you take. For information on Prenzlauer Berg, see... more travel advice
- See All Movies
- See All Classical Music Played at Nightclubs
- See All A 5* Hostel - Now with a Sibling that is...
- See All Ready to Order? - Close the Menu
- See All Bus 100 and 200
- See All Checkpoint Charlie - Inappropriate way...
- See All Kastanienallee - Alternative Shopping...
- See All One Of The Better Italian Restaurants
- Don't Play 'Find the Lady'
- See All Turtle Walk #1: Griebnitzsee To Potsdam...
Turtleshell's Related Pages
Berlin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than the capital of Germany"
- "Berlin, Berlin - wir fahren nach Berlin!"
- "Berlin in my way"
- "Berlin - the whole world in one town"
- "Wunderbar Berlin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berlin
- Hotels in Berlin
- Transportation in Berlin
- Nightlife in Berlin
- Restaurants in Berlin
- Shopping in Berlin
- Warnings and Dangers in Berlin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berlin
- 57 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 781 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Berlin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berlin
Photos in BerlinSee All Photos (45)
- Berlin Intro, 57 reviews, 45 photos
- Bad Tölz Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Munich Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos