"Berlin has everything - safe money" Berlin by Turtleshell

Berlin Travel Guide: 6,962 reviews and 15,611 photos

About these pages

When I moved to Berlin in 1995, I actually had a hard time settling down. Compared to Hamburg, people seemed to be rude and somewhat alienated.
But since 2000, things have changed quite dramatically. People are now more open, friendlier and seem to have developed a certain civic pride. If only the city became cleaner ...

What you'll find here, are some tips I have collected so far for you visitors, and I'm very much hoping they help you enjoy your stay. I can't be bothered to be # 3,512 to introduce Berlin's main sights, such as Brandenburg Gate or the Island of Museums, though.

When you come to Berlin, don't let the first impression fool you. The airports are a joke, and most of the city was bombed into rubble. Cheap apartment buildings, quickly built after the war, can still be seen everywhere and aren't exactly eye-candy.

Still, the city, famous for reinventing itself time after time, provides something for everyone, even very beautiful spots and nature. And as far as history, culture and nightlife are concerned, Berlin ranks among the top cities in Europe if not the world.

• Pros:Diverse, uh... 'interesting' history, interesting architecture, comparatively affordable
  • Cons:History. Lots of ugly buildings from the post-WWII period.
  • In a nutshell:In the words of Berlin's major: "Poor but sexy".
  • Intro Updated Nov 24, 2011

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Great tips, but I feel Alex Tower offers a great view over Berlin. The Lustgarten is cute ;-) Btw the view from Reichstag is useless!! Just go to admire it's design!

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Nicely individual page - some superbly written restaurant tips. I love the Hofbäckerin one. Yep who needs the 3,158th Brandenberg Gate tip? (Ooops - I wrote that one LOL ;))

• chris.hh's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2010 at 4:57 AM

Hi Norbert, thanks for the forum advice and your great tips on your Berlin page. They help me planning my stay very much! Chris

• trvlrtom's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2009 at 7:48 AM

Thanks for the forum advice. I'll be sure to see more biergartens during my return trip in July.

• PALLINA's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2008 at 12:45 AM

very nice and detailed page of Berlin. I love Cafè Orange as well!I'll check your tips carefully before my journey. Many thanks for answering me

• Docu2001's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Very nice piece on Beate ... In fact all of the reviews were quite helpful.

• Carmela71's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2008 at 4:11 AM

Ok, I have to come several times to check your tips. right now I love the itineraries, I have done something similar for some spanish cities, maybe thats why i love them. I will come later to see the rest of info later tonigh! thanks for your great page

• Penelope4's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2008 at 8:04 AM

Your tips are very detailed. Good job and thanks a lot! Schoene Gruesse aus Kabul!

• Sage49's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Great tips, thanks. I'll be in Berlin this May, and will make sure check these out.

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2007 at 2:03 PM

Excellent tips, and I like the way who you picture your walks.

Turtleshell Used To Live Here!

Badges & Stats in Berlin