"Main goal was to see the Light House" Cape Hatteras State Park by lonestar_philomath
Cape Hatteras State Park Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 19 photos
I only had one day (24 Feb 2007) to visit all of the outer banks so I did not spend much time stopping every place I wanted. At the turn off to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, there was a popular restaurant. If I had more time, I would have ventered in, well, maybe next time but here are some pictures of the lighthouse anyway. Cheers!
I was at the lighthouse at two in the afternoon so the Northeast side, that faces the tourist center, was already clothed in shadows. The walk way around the base was not very wide but I managed on getting a few shots on the west side. This picture is on the southwest side.
This sheet explains how this light house was moved from its original spot to its present location. Here is the abbreviated story:
Originally built on a padding of pine logs, the lighthouse started leaning over after its constrction in 1870 after the logs started decaying. Electronic measuring indicated the lighthouse was tilting almost 5 degrees over too far, so plans were made to move it (that is what is covered in the description). I did not read when they started but on 09 July 1999 the lighthouse was securely restablished in its final resting place. It stands the same distance from the Atlantic as its original position.
Off-road driving availablity allowed on Bodie, Pea, and Hatteras Islands in restricted areas. Know before you go. more travel advice
lonestar_philomath's Related Pages
Cape Hatteras State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Best Known Lighthouse... That Got Up & Went!"
- "Main goal was to see the Light House"
- "Cape hattteras North Carolina - AKA OBX"
- "GATEWAY TO THE SEA ...... FREEDOM!"
- "Cape Hatteras with its Lighthouse"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cape Hatteras State Park
- Transportation in Cape Hatteras State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cape Hatteras State Park
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Cape Hatteras State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cape Hatteras State Park
Photos in Cape Hatteras State ParkSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Erfurt Intro, 34 reviews, 142 photos, 5 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 23 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Fort Worth Intro, 30 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues
- Weimar Intro, 26 reviews, 82 photos, 3 travelogues
- Puerto Rico Intro, 22 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ebrach Intro, 12 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bamberg Intro, 14 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 14 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Massachusetts Intro, 6 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue