"'SACRED MOUNTAIN'" Varallo by white_smallstar
Varallo Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 25 photos
It is the oldest Sacro Monte in Piedmont .
It is made up of 44 Chapels, some of which are isolated, while others are part of monumental groups. They are rich in more than 800 life-size wooden and multicoloured terracotta statues. They represent the life, the Passion, and the death of Christ draw with a realistic precision.
UNESCO heritage list
The Sacro Monte was created by architects (G. Alessi, B. Alfieri), painters, and sculptors (G. Ferrari, Giovanni D'Enrico, Tanzio da Varallo, E. Prestinari, the Morazzone).
The devotional complex was founded in 1491 and it is the oldest of the Sacri Monti (Sacred Mountains) and the most important one from the artistic and religious point of view.
The area lying within the sacred fence is divided into two well-distinct areas.
- The first is rich in plants and green, and it is organized like a garden dotted by the presence of various chapels.
- The second area is situated on the top, preceded by the Porta Aurea, and it is made up of small buildings full of porticoes facing the two squares of Tempio (the religious square) and Tribunali (the civil square), in the attempt to repropose the town of Jerusalem.
Christian Pop Art Takes the Stage in the Alps The Sacred Mountain of Varallo is a triumph of "total art" at the... more travel advice
From its natural terrace you can enjoy a view of the whole area, from Bassa Valsesia to Monte Fenera. In the North-West... more travel advice
white_smallstar's Related Pages
Varallo Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Varallo
- 5 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Varallo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Varallo
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liguria Intro, 42 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sion Intro, 30 reviews, 127 photos
- Morocco Intro, 52 reviews, 101 photos
- Lago di Antrona Intro, 29 reviews, 93 photos
- Bergen Intro, 21 reviews, 89 photos
- India 20 reviews, 81 photos
- Thailand Intro, 26 reviews, 75 photos
- Dubai Intro, 20 reviews, 67 photos
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 60 photos
- Oslo Intro, 18 reviews, 61 photos