"So much more than a city" Chongqing Shi by jabaru
Chongqing Shi Travel Guide: 243 reviews and 833 photos
Ask most people what there is to see in Chongqing and you’ll probably only hear about the world famous Three Gorges and Dazu Grottoes. But there is far more to Chongqing than most people ever have the time to discover.
While the Yangzte River and the Three Gorges dominates much of the municipality it is but a small proportion of the natural wonders of Chongqing.
Since Chongqing's annexation from Sichuan in 1997 it has been working hard to move out of an economic wilderness and move into the mainstream with tourism very much at the forefront.
Here's an introduction to some of these. You can follow other travelogues for more detailed information by searching the County seats by name.
Many little know and well preserved ancient towns can be found all around the municipality as well as famous battle grounds and other historical sites from centuries past. Over the years archeologists have unearthed remains of some of the oldest recorded communities in the Middle Kingdom who once lived along the fertile Yangtze valley.
Besides the world renown Three Gorges, Chongqing is home to some of the largest sink holes and limestone caves to be found anywhere in the world. Stone forests, bamboo seas and other unique flora thrives in the wet, sub-tropical climate. Tall mountains, steep valleys, multitudes of rivers, streams and waterfalls provide a myriad of spectacular scenery to explore.
- Pros:Plenty of undiscovered locations
- Cons:Sketchy information and sometimes limited transport options
- In a nutshell:The contrasts are incongruous
• Tong Gu Tan offered a special on Tickets which gave each of us a saving of Y40 or more over three or areas. Rafting... more travel advice
Written May 25, 2008
Wansheng District_South CQ
Written May 24, 2008
Rafting the Podu at Tong Gu Tan
jabaru's Related Pages
Chongqing Shi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chongqing and the Yangtze"
- "So much more than a city"
- "The Mountainous City"
- "Chongqing Province"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chongqing Shi
- Hotels in Chongqing Shi
- Transportation in Chongqing Shi
- Nightlife in Chongqing Shi
- Restaurants in Chongqing Shi
- Shopping in Chongqing Shi
- Warnings and Dangers in Chongqing Shi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chongqing Shi
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Chongqing Shi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chongqing Shi
- Chongqing Intro, 3 photos, 1 travelogue
- Songpan Intro, 3 photos
- Chongqing Shi Intro, 2 reviews, 2 travelogues
- China 1 review
No friends yet.