"Moncontour" Moncontour by TygerLyn

Moncontour Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 25 photos

More friends in France

Moncontour is the home of my friend Peter who used to live in Andover. We both agree there is no contest, Moncontour wins hands down!

Moncontour is an ancient small town/large village about an hour south of St Malo. It prides itself on retaining it wonderful streets, houses and identity. It's bi-annual festival (next one August 2007) is a sight to behold. You can spend a happy hour or two just walking up and down the many cobbled streets. There isn't a lot to do but or a relaxing holiday it is terrific and there are the busy towns of Dinard and Dinan close by.

I went at rather damp time of year and I didn't take walking boots so I don't know what the surrounding countryside is like. Next time!

2007 update. I went in June and it was even wetter. In fact, in October I wore shorts, no hope of this happening June 2007. In 2009 I went to the bi-annual Fete and again in 2013.

2nd Visit to Moncontour

Moncontour is very beautiful but it is only a small town surrounded by a main road. Peter doesn't own a map of the area so I was rather fed up with wandering round and round the same places. This time I ventured across the road. I suddenly realised I had forgtten my late exs two golden rules. Never go for walk without 1) some toilet tissue and 2) a polythene bag. Luckily I didn't need the first but could have done with the second as there were so many chestnuts just lying on the ground. It was very hot so I stuffed my jeans pockets with as many as I could. I walked on. It got hotter. By the time I had walked through Beau Soliel I knew there was no other way but to go back. Being a Monday most of the shops were closed although it was on Tuesday that the butchers and all the restaraunts were closed! Everyone is friendly and there is a Franco/Brit club in Moncontour.

Just walking in the rain

Tuesday. It rained. And rained. Whilst we were at the communal recycling bins Peter had pointed out a footpath. So I set out carrying waterproofs. Within ten yards of his house I had to put the jacket on. The rain got heavier. I went into the woods but it didn't lessen. I started to fill my pockets up with chestnuts (forgot the poly bag again) and halfway up the track leant against a tree and struggled to put the waterproof trousers on. Whilst I was huffing and puffing an extremeley fit man about early thirties came charging past wearing a sweatshirt, shorts and trainers. Now feeling thoroughly dispirited and ancient I struggled on up the track. I came across small chapel and made a dash for it. It was open. I lit a devotional candle. As these sat on spikes and seemed very unstable I am hoping that the chapel is still standing and I didn't burn it down after all these years! After reorganising myself, like fleece in small rucksack as the inside of the mac was now wetter than the outside I went back out adn followed the signs to a fountain. A notice said "non eau potable". I don't think there was any danger in me sipping water from that rather gloomy little tomblike place. I followed the footpath signs but they led to me to some electric fencing. Eventually I had to turn back the way I came although Peter had told me it was possible to walk in a circle. On the way back down through the woods I found another path which did indeed bring me back into Moncontour. As it had now stopped raining it was quite a pleasant walk along by the small dyke that took the town water down to stream that runs through the wood. A recce at the large tourist map outside the closed tourist office inn the town showed me I had walked to Tredaniel.

After some lunch and making the most of the now dryer weather I set off again. I walked out of the village past the school and infirmary. I took a lovely picture of the scenery although it was very misty having been both we t and warm. Then I came back into Moncontour and set off across the main road again. At the top of the first hill I turned left towards Le Grange, Grande Grange and somewhere else. To my delight I was able to turn left again and in half an hour could see the roof tops of Moncontour. At long last I had gone round instead of there and back! It took about two hours. A nice walk. mostly on small track type lanes. I didn't meet anyone else walking at all. Maybe they had a Series Bleu PLan which I shall endeavour to procur for Peter!

FOR SOME REALLY WONDERFUL PHOTOS OF MONCONTOUR LOG ONTO

picturefrance.com/moncontour-brittany

• Pros:Lovely fascinating small town
  • Cons:Take maps.
  • In a nutshell:Lively in season, not so out of season
  • Last visit to Moncontour: Aug 2013
  • Intro Updated Aug 7, 2013

• TygerLyn's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I have just been to the fete in 2013 - great. Photos to follow. I was really involved this time, singing dancing and filmed by French TV!!!!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2010 at 1:53 AM

I particularly liked the info on the Fete, would like to be a 'big kid' and enjoy it too!

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2009 at 5:42 AM

Strange coincidence - I just logged on, with you on my mind so was about to look you up and say Hello - when your message on Javea arrived - we won't return to the costas! A nice page here and nice to have friends in nice places too!Hope you are well.

TygerLyn

“Don't think it. Do it!”

Badges & Stats in Moncontour

Have you been to Moncontour?

Latest Activity in Moncontour