"And the thundering lorries go on and on" Peyrieu by TygerLyn

Peyrieu Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 3 photos

Yso's new home

My two daughters inherited the house in Le Vivier and the oldest, Yso, sold it August 2005. She then bought a house in Peyrieu, which is equidistant between Lyon, Grenoble and Geneva. (Her VT website is above). Peyrieu is a village in the lower part of the Alps and its biggest drawback (to me) is that lorries go thundering through it all the time.

When I went to view the new house for the first time she informed me it was b****y freezing and to pack loads of warm clothes. At that time she was teaching at a Foreign Language school in Lyon and was finding the travelling through the Alps during the bad weather quite hard. (She had only been there a month!) So I was left to entertain myself.

The first day, armed with faithful Minolta, I climbed up behind her house to the Beauregarde viewpoint. This gave me an excellent view of the Rhone and the subsiduary canal that has been created to help with water shortages. I wandered further up the hill but as I hadn't got a map with me I was unsure as to how far I could walk. After about an hour, I came back down and wandered around the village, lots of interesting architecture, pity about the damn lorries. I then divested myself of my coat!

In the evening we went down to Sonia bar, sitting outside listening to the lorries and meeting one or two people who had got to know Yso (as I said, she had not been in the place long)

Finding my way around

The next day, with less clothing as it was getting hotter, I went back up the hill but this time, having had a scout at Yso's map in her study, I walked to a very pretty little hamlet called Fay. As this road led down to the main road I turned back and, having now sussed where it was, went into Sonia's for a "panache". I sat outside on her terrace (with the lorries thudding by) then went back up the hill and followed the stream down. The stream is the main water supply for the village and passes through a cleansing station. This is small, slightly smaller than the green telephone exchanges we have in the UK. Yso was doing an early shift so she returned home and we went into Bellay (pronounced Bully) and looked at the rooftops of the town spread below us, visited the "hole in the wall" and mooched around the shops, most of which were closed. Another visit to Sonia's was de riguer that evening.

Song of the Blackbird

I must download the photos I took as this was the best day in the sense of walking.

This time I headed off towards the canal. I walked alongside the canal, watching the herons dipping into the waters. It was very hot. Luckily I had the foresight to pack a pair of cycling shorts and a sleeveless vest. This was a very quiet and peaceful walk, no traffic although I culd hear it in the distance. But it was quite faint. Eventually I could see a road ahead of me but rather than walk alng the road I turned left and passed along the side of a field shielded by poplars. When I came out on the road I found myself in the most delightful little hamlet of Chantemerle. I was able to detour through the hamlet cutting off a large section of main road. Then I walked back to Peyrieu for about 2 kilometres on the main road. Itwas very hot. Yso's friend, Emma, was coming to stay the night and they were meeting up in Lyon so I said I would cook supper. I then had to strip off to underwear and I sat out in the garden for while. Really lovely and I couldn't hear the lorries quite so much at the back. Emma and Yso arrived, we ate, we went to Sonia and then we came back and drank an awful lot of wine! Luckily, it was nice enough to sit outside.

The next day we all went shopping in the market at Bellay and then Yso took the two of us back to Lyon, Emma to catch a bus to her flat and me to catch the train to the UK.

YOU WILL SEE THAT MY DAUGHTER HAS GENTLY CASTIGATED ME ABOUT THE LORRIES - SHE IS RIGHT - THEY ARE NOT THAT BAD

(Emma had a little boy on New Years Day 2007, Phileas, so her itinerant days are over for a short while).

• Pros:A delightful little place with nice people
  • Cons:Oh those dirty noisy lorries
  • In a nutshell:Nice walking country, great views
  • Last visit to Peyrieu: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 27, 2007

• Yso's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2007 at 2:38 AM

Oh come on, it's not a omtorway. Theer are about 20 trucks a day...

TygerLyn

“Don't think it. Do it!”

Badges & Stats in Peyrieu

Have you been to Peyrieu?

Latest Activity in Peyrieu