"Cloud Forest Spectacular!" Monteverde by daffodil

Monteverde Travel Guide: 180 reviews and 402 photos

Leaves and clouds

Giant trees, huge ferns, moss covering everything and animals, birds and bugs lurking around every corner. It feels like a primeval forest. This little slice of paradise is not easy to get to, but it is worth the trip.
The average rainfall of the cloud forest is only about 120 inches, about half that of a true rainforest, but never having been to a true rainforest this was a pretty good substitute. Much of the water comes in more as a dense mist, and this allows the plant life to thrive all over. One tree can house more than 400 other species!

Wildlife

Wildlife abounds in Monteverde, but it isn't always easy to spot because of the dense foliage. We were fortunate to have a guide and did see several species of birds, in spite of the cloud cover that day which can make it harder to see them.
There is the guarentee of seeing hummingbirds however at the hummingbird garden. It is really cool, and I could have stayed there all day. We saw 7 species of hummers, but I have forgotten all the names. If you are interested we got a movie of them which give you a better impression, I can email it to you if you like.

Adventure!

We decided to try the zip lines in Monteverde. They have the largest one in the Pacific Northwest (most lines) and the highest one in Costa Rica, we did the Skytrek/ Skywalk combo. It was hard for me at first because of my fear of heights, but it was really fun in the end and is a truely unique way of seeing the cloud forest. I would recommend it, but if you are afraid of heights, it isn't easy!

• Pros:Extreme diversity of life and adventure
  • Cons:Cold for Costa Rica and not always easy to see the wildlife
  • In a nutshell:Proably one of the most unique places in the world
  • Last visit to Monteverde: Apr 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 18, 2004

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2004 at 2:14 PM

That zip line tour looks like something I want to do too. Great page

• tommix's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2004 at 3:16 PM

More great pics! Yuppi! :) The opening one is really a masterpiece!

daffodil

“One small step at a time”

Badges & Stats in Monteverde

Have you been to Monteverde?

Latest Activity in Monteverde