"Cloud Forest Spectacular!" Monteverde by daffodil
Monteverde Travel Guide: 184 reviews and 453 photos
Giant trees, huge ferns, moss covering everything and animals, birds and bugs lurking around every corner. It feels like a primeval forest. This little slice of paradise is not easy to get to, but it is worth the trip.
The average rainfall of the cloud forest is only about 120 inches, about half that of a true rainforest, but never having been to a true rainforest this was a pretty good substitute. Much of the water comes in more as a dense mist, and this allows the plant life to thrive all over. One tree can house more than 400 other species!
Wildlife abounds in Monteverde, but it isn't always easy to spot because of the dense foliage. We were fortunate to have a guide and did see several species of birds, in spite of the cloud cover that day which can make it harder to see them.
There is the guarentee of seeing hummingbirds however at the hummingbird garden. It is really cool, and I could have stayed there all day. We saw 7 species of hummers, but I have forgotten all the names. If you are interested we got a movie of them which give you a better impression, I can email it to you if you like.
We decided to try the zip lines in Monteverde. They have the largest one in the Pacific Northwest (most lines) and the highest one in Costa Rica, we did the Skytrek/ Skywalk combo. It was hard for me at first because of my fear of heights, but it was really fun in the end and is a truely unique way of seeing the cloud forest. I would recommend it, but if you are afraid of heights, it isn't easy!
- Pros:Extreme diversity of life and adventure
- Cons:Cold for Costa Rica and not always easy to see the wildlife
- In a nutshell:Proably one of the most unique places in the world
There are 4 different zip line tours in Monteverde. We went on the Skytrek. We got to do 16 cables (don't know why the... more travel advice
You NEED an SUV to get to Monteverde. Hopefully you will have a guide to drive you, but if not, you must have an SUV to... more travel advice
daffodil's Related Pages
Monteverde Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cloud Forests of Monteverde and Santa Elena"
- "Cloud Forest"
- "Green Mountain"
- "Rainforest in the clouds = Cloud forest"
- "Monteverde, beautiful cloudforest..."
- "Monteverde - the mysterious cloud forest"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monteverde
- Hotels in Monteverde
- Transportation in Monteverde
- Nightlife in Monteverde
- Restaurants in Monteverde
- Shopping in Monteverde
- Warnings and Dangers in Monteverde
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monteverde
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Monteverde?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monteverde
Photos in MonteverdeSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Toronto Intro, 44 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liberia Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Halifax Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos
- Canada Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Province of Ontario Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos
- New Hampshire Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Saint John Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos, 2 travelogues
- Monteverde Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos