"Štanjel" Stanjel by mircaskirca
Stanjel Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 63 photos
Štanjel is one of the oldest and most picturesque villages of the Karst region. The rows of houses are scattered on the terraced slopes towards the 364 high hill Turn. The settlement expanded over the hill in the Middle Ages and was enclosed by defence walls to protect it against Turks invasions in a late 15th century. The church of Saint Daniel and the Castle dominate over the present image.
Most notable features of Štanjel are narrow streets with stone built houses. The streets open up into small squares with the typical stone fountains in the middle. An interesting passage from the stone village to the green surroundings is representing by Ferrari's Garden, a unique masterpiece of the architect Max Fabiani.
I've always enjoyed walking the narrow streets of Štanjel as every corner offers another surprise. Many houses are built... more travel advice
mircaskirca's Related Pages
Stanjel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Štanjel - City of Stone"
- "Hidden Jem in the Karst"
- "Medieval Karst Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stanjel
- Hotels in Stanjel
- Transportation in Stanjel
- Restaurants in Stanjel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stanjel
- 3 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Stanjel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stanjel
Photos in StanjelSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 52 reviews, 321 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 282 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 44 reviews, 258 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia Intro, 40 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogotá Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cali Intro, 37 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 41 reviews, 217 photos, 10 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 40 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Isla de Providencia Intro, 26 reviews, 194 photos, 10 travelogues
- São Luís Intro, 25 reviews, 187 photos, 10 travelogues