"Furnas" Furnas by mircaskirca
Furnas Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 137 photos
Located inside a volcanic crater in the district of Povoação, Furnas is one of the largest parishes in the island and in the Azores, an area of volcanic activity and natural beauty. It comprises of a lake, a valley and a village, and there is an impressive array of geysers, fumaroles and hot springs. It is a true paradise for any nature lover where yoy find many interesting places to explore.
Furnas village is an idyllic setting with lovely houses, thermal baths (which have a reputation for their therapeutic qualities) and geysers. It has also a very beautiful garden Parque Terra Nostra, one of the most beautiful parks in São Miguel, full of exotic subtropical plants and trees and well worth visiting. Paths wind between streams and pools and take you to a large outdoor thermal swimming pool with murky yellow water - more inviting than it looks!
Yet, Furnas won its fame primarily from its 22 sources of mineral water. A short drive from the village is a peaceful lake Lagoa das Furnas. Here you will find caldeiras where the famous cozido, one of the most popular dishes of the Azores, is cooked for several hours. Holes are made about 1 m deep in the hot earth where they put a pot with all ingredients. This is not only a tourist attraction but a popular Sunday lunch tradition to come here with the family, cook the cozido and enjoy this tasty dish in these magnificent surroundings.
mircaskirca's Related Pages
Furnas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Furnas, Sao Miguel"
- "Furnas, Sao Miguel, Azores"
- "Parque Terra Nostra"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Furnas
- 0 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Furnas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Furnas
Photos in FurnasSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 52 reviews, 321 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 282 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 44 reviews, 258 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia Intro, 40 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogotá Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cali Intro, 37 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 41 reviews, 217 photos, 10 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 40 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Isla de Providencia Intro, 26 reviews, 194 photos, 10 travelogues
- São Luís Intro, 25 reviews, 187 photos, 10 travelogues