"Ribeira Grande" Ribeira Grande by mircaskirca
Ribeira Grande Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 85 photos
Picturesque town of Ribeira Grande is located on a volcanic plateau above the sea. It received its name from the stream flowing from Lagoa do Fogo that crosses the town on its way to the Atlantic Ocean. Though rather small, Ribeira Grande has rich architecture and offers a visitor some very interesting places to explore.
We started the tour in the charming historic centre which. Its narrow streets are lined with some nice examples of the 17th and 18th centuries architecture. During my visit they were nicely decorated as June is the month of local festivities. Paços do Concelhob (City Hall) has unmistakable design from the 18th century, and is one of the prettiest anywhere. Some of your time deserves the municipal garden, Jardim do Paraíso. And there is an interesting bridge with eight arches from the 18th century, Ponte dos Oito Arcos.
Worth a visit is the main church, Igreja da Nossa Senhora da Estrela, where you find a glass showcase with very small figurines made by a nun in the 19th century from bread dough and arabic gum, representing the Old and New Testaments. Igreja do Espírito Santo, in the main square, has one of the most attractive Baroque façades in the Azores. A little further is the excellent Museu Municipal with a vast collection of local ethnography.
mircaskirca's Related Pages
Ribeira Grande Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RIBEIRA GRANDE"
- "My Ribeira Grande page"
- "Ribeira Grande"
- "Ribeira Grande"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Creeslough Hotels
- Danau Singkarak Hotels
- Palma de Mallorca Hotels
- Ausable Chasm
- Little Hickory Island Hotels
- Johnson Island Hotels
- Deiva Marina
- Costa de Caparica
- Lauada Hotels
- Le Touquet-Paris-Plage
Badges & Stats in Ribeira Grande
- 0 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Ribeira Grande?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ribeira Grande
Photos in Ribeira GrandeSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 52 reviews, 321 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 282 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 44 reviews, 258 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia Intro, 40 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogotá Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cali Intro, 37 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 41 reviews, 217 photos, 10 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 40 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Isla de Providencia Intro, 26 reviews, 194 photos, 10 travelogues
- São Luís Intro, 25 reviews, 187 photos, 10 travelogues