"Santa Maria" Ilha de Santa Maria by mircaskirca
Ilha de Santa Maria Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 181 photos
Situated on the extreme southeast of the wonderful Azores archipelago, Santa Maria was the first island to be discovered, by Diogo Silves, around 1427. It is the third smallest island with a surface area of approximately 97 km2 and about 5500 inhabitants. The island's capital, Vila do Porto, is one of the most ancient towns of the Azores. The island receives more sun than other islands and sea temperatures are higher. Though being used to the warm waters of the Adriatic Sea and the Caribbean I find it too cold and rather enjoyed it from the distance :)
Filled with natural beauty, Santa Maria is known for the various and vivid colours of its landscapes, from idyllic, picturesque, tranquil landscapes of forests and pastures to high sea cliffs with spectacular views and the highest point, Pico Alto. The island is characterized by its charming white houses with their peculiar white chimneys.
The first sensation you get about Santa Maria is peace and tranquillity. I immediately fell in love with the island and was happy that I decided to stay at least two days instead of one day as some people suggested. The most convenient way to see the island is hiring a car and meander along almost empty winding roads through the glorious countryside, stopping for views, taking pictures and exploring the villages, or just walking to the sound of birdsong, makes for a wonderful couple of days holiday.
Traditional festas populares (saint's day festivals) from May through September are very important to the Azorean people... more travel advice
There are two ways to see the island. You can take a a tour around the island by taxi. It costed 60? for four hours. I... more travel advice
mircaskirca's Related Pages
Ilha de Santa Maria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Santa Maria"
- "A ILHA DO SOL"
- "Santa Maria -- Pastural Piece of Heaven"
- "SANTA MARIA island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ilha de Santa Maria
- Hotels in Ilha de Santa Maria
- Transportation in Ilha de Santa Maria
- Restaurants in Ilha de Santa Maria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ilha de Santa Maria
- 20 Reviews
- 173 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Ilha de Santa Maria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ilha de Santa Maria
- updated a Ilha de Santa Maria Travel Page "Santa Maria"
- Posted in Travel León Forum "Re: busses from Leon tot Granada"
- Uploaded a Photo to "More Landscapes of Santa Maria"
- Wrote a Review Local Festivals and Celebrations in Ilha de Santa Maria Local Customs
- Commented on one of Avieira67's Ilha de Santa Maria travel pages
Photos in Ilha de Santa MariaSee All Photos (173)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 52 reviews, 321 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 282 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 44 reviews, 258 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia Intro, 40 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogotá Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cali Intro, 37 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 41 reviews, 217 photos, 10 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 40 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Isla de Providencia Intro, 26 reviews, 194 photos, 10 travelogues
- São Luís Intro, 25 reviews, 187 photos, 10 travelogues