"Granada" Top 5 Page for this destination Granada by mircaskirca
Granada Travel Guide: 387 reviews and 1,154 photos
The beautiful city of Granada, affectionately called as La Gran Sultana, is one of the oldest cities in the Americas and is well known for its lovingly restored Colonial architecture. The city was settled in 1524 by the Spanish and still has many of the original buildings reflecting its rich history. Located on the Lake Nicaragua, it's certainly Nicaragua's most picturesque town and one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country.
Granada is build around its main square, Parque Central, which represents the city's social, cultural and economic hub. It is surrounded by elegant colonial buildings and stunning Granada's Cathedral dominates the Parque. The famous street known as La Calzada runs from the Cathedral all the way to the lake. The street is closed to traffic and here you'll find cafés and restaurants where you can sit and enjoy drink, people watch, listen to music and dine if you wish.
Granada is pleasant to explore by foot, wandering along its narrow streets. Have a look inside the large colonial houses and you'll discover lovely inner patios filled with tropical plants. You can also explore the city by old-fashioned horse carriage; it feels like a trip back in time.
There are also a lot of interesting excursions reachable from Granada, like a boat trip to Las Isletas, hiking to Volcán Mombacho, and visiting Masaya, Pueblos Blancos and Laguna de Apoyo.
Founded in 1524 by Francisco Hernández de Córdoba, Granada is the oldest city in Central America and has retained its... more travel advice
ChocoMuseo Shop is a little shop inside the ChocoMuseo. When you enter the museum you find it on the left side, just in... more travel advice
mircaskirca's Related Pages
Granada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IN LOVE WITH GRANADA"
- "Granada, Nicaragua"
- "Travel Notes from Granada, Nicaragua"
- "Granada: the colonial jewel of Nicaragua"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Granada
- Hotels in Granada
- Transportation in Granada
- Nightlife in Granada
- Restaurants in Granada
- Shopping in Granada
- Warnings and Dangers in Granada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Granada
- 41 Reviews
- 217 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Granada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Granada
Photos in GranadaSee All Photos (217)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 52 reviews, 321 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 282 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 44 reviews, 258 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia Intro, 40 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogotá Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cali Intro, 37 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 41 reviews, 217 photos, 10 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 40 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Isla de Providencia Intro, 26 reviews, 194 photos, 10 travelogues
- São Luís Intro, 25 reviews, 187 photos, 10 travelogues