"Masaya" Masaya by mircaskirca
Masaya Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 107 photos
Masaya is situated 16 km northwest of Granada, on the way to Managua. It rises on the banks of the lake that has the same name. The town is considered the cradle of folklore and is the heart of Nicaraguan handicrafts. One of the most interesting attractions in Masaya itself is Mercado de Artesanías. It's the biggest handicraft markets in Nicaragua, which houses a variety of little shops where traditional handicrafts can be found, from hand woven hammocks to wood carving, ceramic, musical instruments and many other things. Inside the market there are several restaurants where you can taste some typical dishes. On Thursday nights you can visit La Verbena, a cultural event that includes folkloric dances, music and traditional Nicaraguan food.
Just outside the city lies the Parque Nacional Volcán Masaya, one of Nicaragua's most impressive natural phenomena. Established in 1979 as the country's first natonal park, it comprises an area of 54 km2 with more than 20 km of scenic hiking trails, leading to and around the volcano.
Mercado de Artesanías, also known as Mercado Viejo, is certainly the place to buy arts in crafts in Masaya. It's a safe... more travel advice
Mercado de Artesanías, also known as Mercado Viejo, is Nicaragua's most famous market and a major tourist draw. The... more travel advice
mircaskirca's Related Pages
Masaya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HAMMOCKS IN MASAYA"
- "Staying in Masaya"
- "Volcanoes and Folk Craft Shopping"
- "Masaya fiestas patronales"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Masaya
- Transportation in Masaya
- Restaurants in Masaya
- Shopping in Masaya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Masaya
- 5 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Masaya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Masaya
Photos in MasayaSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 52 reviews, 321 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 282 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 44 reviews, 258 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia Intro, 40 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogotá Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cali Intro, 37 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 41 reviews, 217 photos, 10 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 40 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Isla de Providencia Intro, 26 reviews, 194 photos, 10 travelogues
- São Luís Intro, 25 reviews, 187 photos, 10 travelogues