"Barranquilla" Top 5 Page for this destination Barranquilla by mircaskirca
Barranquilla Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 107 photos
After Bogotá, Medellín and Cali, Barranquilla is Colombia's fourth largest city. It's the major industrial port located in northern Colombia by the Caribbean Sea, at the mouth of the Magdalena River. The city is not particularly attractive but it is famous throughout Latin America for its vibrant four-day carnival. Carnaval de Barranquilla is second only in size to Rio's but much more authentic. It's the largest street parade in Colombia with dance, music and masquerade parades. The carnival in Barranquilla is unique because of its cultural diversity, with the influence of Spanish, African and indigenous. The city is known as Curramba La Bella (Curramba the Beautiful) and Barranquilla people are often referred to as Curramberos (meaning 'party people').
We left Parque Tayrona early in the morning so we had one not completely full day for Barranquilla before taking an evening flight to Bogotá. Walking the streets of the city centre and the most pleasant district, El Prado, we came across several nice examples of Art Deco architecture, saw some of the sights, with Casa del Carnaval being the highlight, and had a lunch with typical food of Barranquilla.
In the Caribbean coast of Colombia you find an abundance of tropical fruits. The diverse offer of fresh fruit is immense... more travel advice
There were only a very few days left until my flight back to Europe so I decided to join Donna and take a flight as... more travel advice
Written Sep 30, 2009
Casa del Carnaval
Written Oct 2, 2009
Miscellaneous Scenes from Barranquilla
mircaskirca's Related Pages
Barranquilla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My second home"
- "BARRANQUILLA IS SAFE FOR TRAVEL"
- "La Arenosa"
- "Beautiful Barranquilla?"
- "hanspeter_W.'s new Barranquilla Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barranquilla
- Hotels in Barranquilla
- Transportation in Barranquilla
- Nightlife in Barranquilla
- Restaurants in Barranquilla
- Warnings and Dangers in Barranquilla
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barranquilla
- 8 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Barranquilla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barranquilla
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 52 reviews, 321 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 282 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 44 reviews, 258 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia Intro, 40 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogotá Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cali Intro, 37 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 41 reviews, 217 photos, 10 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 40 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Isla de Providencia Intro, 26 reviews, 194 photos, 10 travelogues
- São Luís Intro, 25 reviews, 187 photos, 10 travelogues