"Barranquilla" Top 5 Page for this destination Barranquilla by mircaskirca

Barranquilla Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 107 photos

Capital of the Colombian Caribbean

After Bogotá, Medellín and Cali, Barranquilla is Colombia's fourth largest city. It's the major industrial port located in northern Colombia by the Caribbean Sea, at the mouth of the Magdalena River. The city is not particularly attractive but it is famous throughout Latin America for its vibrant four-day carnival. Carnaval de Barranquilla is second only in size to Rio's but much more authentic. It's the largest street parade in Colombia with dance, music and masquerade parades. The carnival in Barranquilla is unique because of its cultural diversity, with the influence of Spanish, African and indigenous. The city is known as Curramba La Bella (Curramba the Beautiful) and Barranquilla people are often referred to as Curramberos (meaning 'party people').

We left Parque Tayrona early in the morning so we had one not completely full day for Barranquilla before taking an evening flight to Bogotá. Walking the streets of the city centre and the most pleasant district, El Prado, we came across several nice examples of Art Deco architecture, saw some of the sights, with Casa del Carnaval being the highlight, and had a lunch with typical food of Barranquilla.

• Last visit to Barranquilla: Jan 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 7, 2009

• Nov 25, 2009 at 6:56 PM

i havent heard of this carneval, but it sure sounds impressive! i too love the tropical fruits... in belize we found such stalls as well. nothing beats it on a hot summer day!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Oh, I miss those yummy fruit salads and fruit juices! I have only passed Barranquilla by bus, but it seems to be worth doing a stop to visit Casa de Carneval. Lucky you who are going to Colombia again, soon!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2009 at 12:23 PM

I like the looks of the architecture in this town! Good that they were persistent and finally managed to build the Teatro Amira de la Rosa. And I never knew Barranquilla was such a big Carnaval town. That fruit salad sounds great!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2009 at 9:40 AM

A great little page on Barranquilla and its colourful Carnaval! You were lucky to be able to work in this quick visit. I loved your tips on meals and tropical fruits! I still remember being stunned at how good my first mango (in Zambia) tasted!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2009 at 4:52 AM

The Festival sounds wild and maybe, must maybe I might succumb to visiting during it but really, I would rather go to your little restaurant and have this very local fish dish. Great job on this surprisingly colorful city, Mira.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2009 at 1:57 AM

Haha, why do I instantly know that cumbia is the major music at Baranquilla carnival? My good old Pablo was dancing there already at age of 2.... Cuuuumbia :-)) How I miss these fruit juices!!!

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Another interesting place, I'll be back for more.

Badges & Stats in Barranquilla

Have you been to Barranquilla?

Latest Activity in Barranquilla