"Guatapé" Guatapé by mircaskirca

Guatapé Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 126 photos

Pueblo de Zócalos

A small Colombian town Guatapé, located in eastern Antioquia department, an hour and a half from Medellín, is one of those places where you want to go back. It's a pretty lakeside town with brightly coloured colonial houses and a pleasant plaza with a white and red parish church Iglesia de Nuestra Señora del Carmen. A quiet town during the week, Guatapé receives more visitors at weekend when it is sometimes packed with Colombian tourists, especially from Medellín. A pleasant promenade along the lake shore fills up with boats that can take you out onto the lake. There is also a canopy across a section of the lake. Several restaurants and small hotels along the lake are available to tourists.

Guatapé is simply wonderful, especially for its architecture. The town is known for its zócalos, the brightly painted boards along the façade's lower walls that adorn many of the houses. The residents decorated them with geometric figures and intricate sculptures, tied to the family, beliefs and the products sold by the shops. Others are cultural images of the farming heritage of the community. Calle de los Recuerdos has the best examples of these fascinating public works of art.

Only a few kilometres from Guatapé, well worth a visit is El Peñon de Guatapé (The Guatapé Rock), a 200m monolithic formation rising from the banks of the lake. From the top there are magnificent views over the lake and beyond.

• Last visit to Guatapé: Dec 2009
  • Intro Updated Jun 7, 2010

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Mira, fabulous page with outstanding photos of your adventures in Colombia. Especially your transportation from El Penon de Guatape looks amazing.

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2011 at 4:16 AM

Loved all the coloured photos of this page!! My kind of place, would love to visit. So nice the zócalos, and Calle de los Recuerdos.

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I just saw Guatape on an episode of House Hunters International and was instantly fascinated by it. Your page is wonderful and full of gorgeous photos. I have family in Colombia and if I ever visit them again I will be sure to make a point of seeing Guatape!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2011 at 3:45 AM

Looks a lovely town and great for photography, especially the pretty church and the colourful zócalos. Between you and Richie I am realising that I should go to Columbia ...

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Ah! You see . . . I have already started to travel virtually :-))) And I enjoyed visiting with you this Colombian little gem. Zócalos + chivas + maybe arepas? Thanks for sharing, Mira!

• elsadran's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Great tips Mira! You will make me go bak to Colombia..I think I have missed a lot!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2010 at 11:07 PM

My goodness, what a cute adorable little town!! I love the decorations, the colours and the Christmas decorations! And of course this fantastic landscape from up the penon. Oh my, what a gem!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Another Colombian gem uncovered by you, Mira. It reminds me quite a bit of Salento...ok, albeit the zócalos, chivas and that huge lake! ;)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2010 at 12:09 AM

What a colourful and beautiful little town Guatapé is! And the views from El Peñon is magnificent! I hope to come back to this region again one day so I can visit Guatapé and El Peñon. Great page Mira!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Wow, Mira - you really found a hidden gem in Guatapé! Such a picturesque little town situated amid an amazing landscape of peaks and lakes! Your photos are beautiful as usual - thank you for the very pleasant tour.

Badges & Stats in Guatapé

Have you been to Guatapé?

Latest Activity in Guatapé