"Medellín" Top 5 Page for this destination Medellín by mircaskirca
Medellín Travel Guide: 151 reviews and 506 photos
With the population of more than 3,5 people, referred to as Paisas, Medellín is the second largest city in Colombia, and the capital of Antioquia. Due to its pleasant spring-like climate year round the city is known as La Ciudad de la Enterna Primavera (City of the Eternal Spring).
Medellín used to be synonymous with Colombia's drug wars and was also a hub for guerrilla activity. In the 1980s the city was under the violent control of Pablo Escobar, Colombia's most deadly cocaine baron. At that time Medellín was one of the most murderous cities on the planet. After seeing the films Rosario Tijeras and La Virgen de los Sicarios it's hard to believe that this was reallity in Medellín only 20 years ago. However, the city's security situation has undergone a dramatic improvement in recent years.
Today it is one of the safest metropolies in Latin America. Medellín is a modern city of significant elegance, with luxurious restaurants, stylish bars and cafés, boutiques and galleries. This is where Colombian figurative artist Fernando Botero was born. He is famous for 'fat' figures and you'll find many of his sculptures in the city. Medellín is the only Colombian city with the metro.
It is also known for its noteworthy festivals and events, such as International Poetry Festival, International Jazz Festival, International Tango Festival, the Flower Parade and of course its Los Alumbrados, Christmas Lights Display, which year after year holds residents and visitors alike in awe with its designs and colourful light shows.
I came across Agua Bendita one night while I was walking around El Poblado with Natalie. I immediately fell in love with... more travel advice
El Poblado neighbourhood is one you'll most probably want to visit at night. The centre of the action is around Parque... more travel advice
mircaskirca's Related Pages
Medellín Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Medellín - capital of Antioquia"
- "A well run city"
- "City Of Eternal Spring"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Medellín
- Hotels in Medellín
- Transportation in Medellín
- Nightlife in Medellín
- Restaurants in Medellín
- Shopping in Medellín
- Warnings and Dangers in Medellín
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Medellín
- 32 Reviews
- 130 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Medellín?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Medellín
Photos in MedellínSee All Photos (130)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 52 reviews, 321 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 282 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 44 reviews, 258 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia Intro, 40 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogotá Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cali Intro, 37 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 41 reviews, 217 photos, 10 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 40 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Isla de Providencia Intro, 26 reviews, 194 photos, 10 travelogues
- São Luís Intro, 25 reviews, 187 photos, 10 travelogues