"Popayán" Top 5 Page for this destination Popayán by mircaskirca
Popayán Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 381 photos
Nicknamed La Ciudad Blanca (The White City) due to its whitewashed houses, Popayán is the architectural treasure and one of the most beautiful colonial cities of Colombia. It is situated in the lower Andes at an altitude of 1.737 metres. Founded in 1837 by conquistador Sebastián de Belalcázar, it developed as an important stopover for traffic between Quito and Cartagena.
Its narrow streets are lined with two-storey buildings constructed in rococo Andalusian-style. There are many plazas and churches to explore and several interesting museums and galleries. Although the capital of the department of Cauca, Popayán somehow retains its relaxed small town feel. But it really comes alive during Semana Santa (Holly Week) with the largest celebrations in Colombia. It's the main university town of the region and there's a young, sociable feel to the city. Popayán has a lively café culture with many excellent cafés where friendly locals usually meet, sipping their coffee and catching up with friends. Pleasant climate makes Popayán a very enjoyable place to visit all year round.
Much of the Popayán's original splendor was destroyed in the earthquake in March 1983. Massive reconstructions followed, restoring the town to its former colonial look though you can still see the damage in some parts.
Chontaduro is a species of palm fruit well known by the native population where it is grown, the tropical forest of... more travel advice
That evening I did not think of having dinner. I was actually quite full after sampling the delicious local street food... more travel advice
mircaskirca's Related Pages
Popayán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On Finding the Pipián in Popayán"
- "Popayan - white is beautiful!"
- "Popayan - The white city"
- "Ciudad Blanca"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Popayán
- Hotels in Popayán
- Transportation in Popayán
- Nightlife in Popayán
- Restaurants in Popayán
- Shopping in Popayán
- Warnings and Dangers in Popayán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Popayán
- 21 Reviews
- 114 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Popayán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Popayán
Photos in PopayánSee All Photos (114)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 52 reviews, 321 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 282 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 44 reviews, 258 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia Intro, 40 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogotá Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cali Intro, 37 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 41 reviews, 217 photos, 10 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 40 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Isla de Providencia Intro, 26 reviews, 194 photos, 10 travelogues
- São Luís Intro, 25 reviews, 187 photos, 10 travelogues