"Isla de San Andrés" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de San Andrés by mircaskirca
Isla de San Andrés Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 295 photos
Historically tied to England, the archipelago of San Andrés, Providencia and Santa Catalina is located almost 800 km northeast of the Colombian mainland, just 150 km from the coast of Nicaragua. Seahorse-shaped San Andrés is the archipelago's largest island at 13 km long and 3 km wide. While the town of San Andrés is packed with hotels, restaurants and duty-free shops, there are two other small towns far less tourist-oriented: La Loma in the central hilly region, home of the local Raizal population, and a sleepy town of San Luis on the eastern coast. Both have fine traditional English-Caribbean wooden architecture. A picturesque 30km paved road loops the entire island and is the main tourist trail for sightseeing and attractions. Thanks to a vivid and multi-ethnic history, San Andrés offers a varied cultural experience, from cuisine of the island to the languages spoken.
Warm and crystal clear waters of the Caribbean are home to a cluster of palm-scattered atolls and islets. In 2000 the archipelago was declared the UNESCO Seaflower Biosphere Reserve. San Andrés is described by locals as 'the sea of seven colours'. The turquoise sea, extensive coral reefs and rich underwater life offer excellent snorkeling and scuba diving opportunities. Laid-back and relaxed Caribbean atmosphere, friendly locals and general safety are other factors that make the island an attractive destination.
The culture of the archipelago of San Andrés is linked to its people, who have diverse ethnic origins. The Raizal,... more travel advice
Islands of San Andrés and Providencia have the largest coral reefs in Colombia, with more than 85 species of corals, as... more travel advice
mircaskirca's Related Pages
Isla de San Andrés Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Isla de San Andrés"
- "THE SEVEN COLOURS OF THE SEA"
- "What Happens in San Andres, Stays in San Andres!!"
- "Island with no Overflights"
- "Isla de San Andres, Caribbean Colombia"
- "Take me back to San Andres"
- "San Andres"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla de San Andrés
- Hotels in Isla de San Andrés
- Transportation in Isla de San Andrés
- Nightlife in Isla de San Andrés
- Restaurants in Isla de San Andrés
- Shopping in Isla de San Andrés
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla de San Andrés
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla de San Andrés
- 21 Reviews
- 107 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Isla de San Andrés?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla de San Andrés
- Posted in Travel León Forum "Re: busses from Leon tot Granada"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Johnny Cay"
- updated a Isla de San Andrés Travelogue "The Sea of Seven Colours - From the Air"
- Wrote a Review People and Languages of San Andrés in Isla de San Andrés Local Customs
- Commented on one of call_me_rhia's Isla de San Andrés travel pages
Photos in Isla de San AndrésSee All Photos (107)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 52 reviews, 321 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 282 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 44 reviews, 258 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia Intro, 40 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogotá Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cali Intro, 37 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 41 reviews, 217 photos, 10 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 40 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Isla de Providencia Intro, 26 reviews, 194 photos, 10 travelogues
- São Luís Intro, 25 reviews, 187 photos, 10 travelogues