"Villa de Leyva" Top 5 Page for this destination Villa de Leiva by mircaskirca
Villa de Leiva Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 431 photos
Nestled in the hills of rural Boyacá, Villa de Leyva is one of Colombia's treasures. It's a charming old colonial town with decent tourist infrastructure but not overrun by tourism yet. Time seems to have stopped here, it looks very much the same now as it did then. Idyllic whitewashed walls, cobblestone streets, red-tiled roofs, balconies and private courtyards retain the heritage. Villa de Leyva's most distinct feature is the huge cobblestone plaza, the largest in Colombia.
Declared a national monument in 1954, the town is a popular weekend retreat for Bogotanos and it can get quite crowded. But during the week you'll find the town very quiet. Villa de Leyva is home to many artists and there are many nice shops selling beautiful handcrafted folk art pieces. The town has been used also as a location for filming. Werner Herzog was one of the famous directors who chose Villa de Leyva as location for his film Cobra Verde.
The town is small and easy to see it in just one day. But the charm and atmosphere of the place, and hiking in the surrounding area, will certainly make you want to stay longer as you planned.
Villa de Leyva, a beautiful small colonial town with whitewashed houses and ornate wooden balconies decorated with... more travel advice
Many artists have found their home in Villa de Leyva. There are dozens of handicraft shops as well as a number of... more travel advice
mircaskirca's Related Pages
Villa de Leiva Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A gem not hidden: Villa de Leyva"
- "Charming Villa de Leyva"
- "Villa de Leyva"
- "Villa de Leiva"
- "Villa de Leyva - the most charming colonial town"
- "Colonial Perfection"
- "Enjoying the past"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Villa de Leiva
- Hotels in Villa de Leiva
- Transportation in Villa de Leiva
- Nightlife in Villa de Leiva
- Restaurants in Villa de Leiva
- Shopping in Villa de Leiva
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Villa de Leiva
- 15 Reviews
- 152 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Villa de Leiva?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Villa de Leiva
- Posted in Travel Ljubljana Forum "Re: Hat shop opposite Star cafe"
- Commented on one of richiecdisc's Villa de Leiva travel pages
- updated a Villa de Leiva Travelogue "Casa Museo de Antonio Nariño"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Casa Museo de Antonio Nariño"
- Wrote a Review Villa de Leyva in Film and Literature in Villa de Leiva Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 52 reviews, 321 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 282 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 44 reviews, 258 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia Intro, 40 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogotá Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cali Intro, 37 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 41 reviews, 217 photos, 10 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 40 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Isla de Providencia Intro, 26 reviews, 194 photos, 10 travelogues
- São Luís Intro, 25 reviews, 187 photos, 10 travelogues