"Ilha de Algodoal" Ilha do Algodoal by mircaskirca
Ilha do Algodoal Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 81 photos
Small fishing village of Algodoal on Ilha de Maiandeau, 180 km northeast of Belem, attracts younger Belemenses and a few foreign travelers. This beautiful spot, with its duneswept beaches and sometimes turbulent sea, is very remote.
Island is called Algodoal due to the abundance of a native plant called algodao de sede (cotton silk) still found in the region. Sand dunes when viewed from a distance resemble hills of cotton. Island's name Maiandeau comes from a Tupi (an Indian native language) which means "Mother of Earth".
Algodoal is also the name of the biggest of all four villages in the island. It's the main village with best accommodations and infrastructure for visitors. The others are Fortalezinha, Camboinha and Mocooca.
The paradisiacal white sand beaches of Algodoal are surrounded by dunes with a characteristic reef vegetation which offers abundant fruits, specially caju (cashew) and ajiru (typical fruit of northern Brazil). The most famous is certainly Praia da Princesa (Princess Beach) and Caixa D'agua (Watertank) is the closest to Algodoal village. There are also other very beautiful beaches in the island.
The island is characterised by tranquility and its marvelous scenary. Simple and receptive people live mostly from fishing, agriculture and lately from tourism. Electric energy was only introduced in the island in January 2005 and water supply is made through artesian wells which provides excellent quality water. No cars are allowed in the island, the only means of transportation are boat, bicycle, buggy and horse.
Ajiru is a fruit that is typical of Ilha de Algodoal beaches. Especially Praia do Farol has a huge shrubbery that bears... more travel advice
Nights are very generous on Ilha de Algodoal. They offer a lot of entertainment at the same time as they offer... more travel advice
mircaskirca's Related Pages
Ilha do Algodoal Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Ilha do Algodoal
- Hotels in Ilha do Algodoal
- Transportation in Ilha do Algodoal
- Nightlife in Ilha do Algodoal
- Restaurants in Ilha do Algodoal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ilha do Algodoal
- 16 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Ilha do Algodoal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ilha do Algodoal
Photos in Ilha do AlgodoalSee All Photos (79)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 52 reviews, 321 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 282 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 44 reviews, 258 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia Intro, 40 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogotá Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cali Intro, 37 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 41 reviews, 217 photos, 10 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 40 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Isla de Providencia Intro, 26 reviews, 194 photos, 10 travelogues
- São Luís Intro, 25 reviews, 187 photos, 10 travelogues