"Curitiba" Top 5 Page for this destination Curitiba by mircaskirca
Curitiba Travel Guide: 198 reviews and 459 photos
Curitiba was founded in the 17th century as a gold-mining camp and its population was American Indian and Portugues. The capital of the state became in 1854. It is said that Curitiba is barely Brazilian city at all since its inhabitants are descendants of Polish, German, Italian and Ukrainian immigrants that arrived in the city during the 19th and early 20th century.
It is the capital of the southern state of Parana and one of the most prosperous and organized cities in Brazil. Curitiba has become renowned for its innovative urban solutions, especially the public transit system, and win a UNESCO prize for its urban development. The city is also known as the ecological capital of Brazil. Curitiba has 26 parks of well-preserved environment with rich and diversified flora and fauna.
Curitiba is a Brazilian reference when theatre and classic music matters. It has several theatres and places for artistic performances. Universidade Federal do Parana - UFPR (Federal University of Parana) is the oldest Brazilian university, established in 1912. This Brazilian metropolis was in 2003 nominated as the American Capital of Culture.
If you are heading for Iguaçu Falls (or Buenos Aires as I did) from Rio de Janeiro or São Paulo, it's worth stopping by for a day or two - thoug you'll most probably end up staying longer as the city is really fascinating.
After doing sightseeing for a day or two, what would be more suitable than spending some time outside the city, on the... more travel advice
One of the first things that I noticed on my visit of Curitiba, was a large number of interesting flat-topped trees,... more travel advice
mircaskirca's Related Pages
Curitiba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "3 weeks off the beaten path, "planner's paradise""
- "Most European capital in Brazil"
- "Curitiba...the capital of the South.."
- "Curitiba - capital of Parana"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Curitiba
- Hotels in Curitiba
- Transportation in Curitiba
- Nightlife in Curitiba
- Restaurants in Curitiba
- Shopping in Curitiba
- Warnings and Dangers in Curitiba
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Curitiba
- 21 Reviews
- 125 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Curitiba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Curitiba
Photos in CuritibaSee All Photos (125)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 52 reviews, 321 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 282 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 44 reviews, 258 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia Intro, 40 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogotá Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cali Intro, 37 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 41 reviews, 217 photos, 10 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 40 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Isla de Providencia Intro, 26 reviews, 194 photos, 10 travelogues
- São Luís Intro, 25 reviews, 187 photos, 10 travelogues