Parati Off The Beaten Path Tips by mircaskirca Top 5 Page for this destination
Parati Off The Beaten Path: 13 reviews and 28 photos
If you want to visit the beautiful beaches and islands of the Paraty's Bay (in fact, there are 65 islands and about 200 beaches to choose from), plus snorkel or dive in the calm and clear waters of the bay, the best option is to take a boat tour.
Schooners and fishing boats run daily trips from the pier. They leave in the morning after breakfast and return before the sunrise. The route can varies depending on weather - the schooner tour prefers to visit the quiet islands - but what never changes is that you will visit some secluded bays with deserted beaches surrounded by rocks and jungle, and tiny islands with white sand washed by clear turquoise water. Be sure not to miss Praia da Lula and Praia Vermelha, two beaches great for swimming. The schooner stops for about an hour at each place for sunbathing, swimming and snorkeling. Masks and snorkels are provided for this, and lunch, water, coffee and tropical fruits are available on ther tour.
Tickets for trips out to the islands cost around RS 20 per person. You can book it with one of the town's agencies or buy it directly at the pier. I booked it with John in the hostel where I was staying and was quite satisfied.
Approximately 30 kilometres south of Paraty is Trindade, a village and coastal region that offer some of the prettiest beaches in the area. Not long ago it was a sleepy fishermen's village. In the 1970's Trindade became popular with a hippie community. They chose an alternative lifestyle and shared the place with the fishermen.
Foothpaths connect most of the beaches and the small village. The first beach is Praia Brava, which is a small, sandy strip surrounded by lush vegetation and a small stream that empties into the ocean. Praia do Cepilho is famous with surfers as it often produces waves of up to four meters. The village itself is on the banks of Praia de Fora and if you walk down Rua das Cachoeiras to the left, you'll hit Praia do Meio, one of the prettiest in the area with white sand and warm blue waters. This is the most popular beach for sunbathing and swimming. Farther down the trail is Praia do Cachadaco which has excellent pools for snorkeling with a wide variety of colourful fish and sea life. Finally, the Praia da Figueira is a small, hidden strip of sand and clear water that is often used for nude sunbathing. Nearby are more pools for snorkeling.
Trinidade village has a few pousadas and if you get hungry, order at the beach kiosks a portion of squid rings, fresh fish or even a full meal. For dessert wait for the guy that comes with a tray full of fresh strawberries covered in brigadeiro fudge - ask for two! :) There are a couple of kiosks kept by the remaining hippies offering handicraft, trippy T-shirts, jewellery and flip-flops made of recycled tires.
The bus from Paraty, called Paraty-Trindade, leaves every 40 minutes starting at 5:20. The last one back is at 23:20. You can get off at Praia Brava, which is before the end of the line. Be sure to ask the driver to stop for you. After the Praia Brava stop the bus will drive through a stream of water before stopping in the village. You can walk to Praia do Meio from there.
More Reviews (18)
- See All Original Pieces of Art of All Types
- See All Most Charming Colonial Architecture
- Live Music, Dance, Drink & Chat
- See All Ice cream Therapy
mircaskirca's Related Pages
Parati Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paraty - An Oasis of History and Charm"
- "CHARMING PARATI"
- "Parati - Great Colonial Relic"
- "Parati - not just a sleepy seaside town"
- "AH,MY BEAUTIFUL PARATY!"
- "Gold, sea, architecture and life"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parati
- Hotels in Parati
- Transportation in Parati
- Nightlife in Parati
- Restaurants in Parati
- Shopping in Parati
- Warnings and Dangers in Parati
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Parati
- 20 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Parati?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parati
- Posted in Travel León Forum "Re: busses from Leon tot Granada"
- Wrote a Review Original Pieces of Art of All Types in Parati Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Original Pieces of Art of All Types"
- updated a Parati Travel Page "Paraty - An Oasis of History and Charm"
- Commented on one of swesn's Parati travel pages
Photos in ParatiSee All Photos (103)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 52 reviews, 321 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 282 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 44 reviews, 258 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia Intro, 40 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogotá Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cali Intro, 37 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 41 reviews, 217 photos, 10 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 40 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Isla de Providencia Intro, 26 reviews, 194 photos, 10 travelogues
- São Luís Intro, 25 reviews, 187 photos, 10 travelogues