"Paraty - An Oasis of History and Charm" Top 5 Page for this destination Parati by mircaskirca
Parati Travel Guide: 272 reviews and 881 photos
Paraty (sometimes spelled Parati) is a beautiful colonial town on the west coast of Rio de Janeiro. It became very important in the 18th century because the gold found in Minas Gerais was shipped from here to Europe. Paraty became the second most important port of Brazil. It was a usual station for coffee on its way to Rio de Janeiro. And finally, the best cachaca (sugar cane spirit) of Brazil was produced here.
Considered a National Historical Monument, it preserves its countless natural and architectural charm until today. It was classified as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1966. Paraty was used as a setting for Gabriela, the film version of Jorge Amado's novel Gabriela, Clove and Cinnamon. It was also filmed in parts of The Kiss of the Spider Woman and many more films and television productions.
The historic centre offers a wide variety of things to do and see during your visit: strolling the streets with its beautifully preserved colonial architecture, stopping in the numerous art galleries and shops, stepping back in time in the churches and museums, sampling the delicious food, enjoying the music or just relaxing in the peaceful atmosphere.
The surrounding area of this oasis of history and charm is another fascinating world full of natural beauty and adventure. Paraty is one of Brazil's most sparkling coastal jewels. Its waters are blue-green and warm and splash onto a number of remote beaches and islands, great for exploring, swimming and snorkeling.
During the colonial time Paraty attracted painters, poets and intellectuals. The pleasant surroundings of cobblestone... more travel advice
The first thing that comes in mind about Paraty is undoubtedly its charming architecture. It does not surprise that... more travel advice
- See All Ice cream Therapy
- Paraty is a Synonym for Cachaca
- See All The Prettiest Beaches of Trindade
mircaskirca's Related Pages
Parati Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paraty - An Oasis of History and Charm"
- "CHARMING PARATI"
- "Parati - Great Colonial Relic"
- "Parati - not just a sleepy seaside town"
- "AH,MY BEAUTIFUL PARATY!"
- "Gold, sea, architecture and life"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parati
- Hotels in Parati
- Transportation in Parati
- Nightlife in Parati
- Restaurants in Parati
- Shopping in Parati
- Warnings and Dangers in Parati
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Parati
- 20 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Parati?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parati
- Posted in Travel León Forum "Re: busses from Leon tot Granada"
- Wrote a Review Original Pieces of Art of All Types in Parati Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Original Pieces of Art of All Types"
- updated a Parati Travel Page "Paraty - An Oasis of History and Charm"
- Commented on one of swesn's Parati travel pages
Photos in ParatiSee All Photos (103)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 52 reviews, 321 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 282 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 44 reviews, 258 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia Intro, 40 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogotá Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cali Intro, 37 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 41 reviews, 217 photos, 10 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 40 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Isla de Providencia Intro, 26 reviews, 194 photos, 10 travelogues
- São Luís Intro, 25 reviews, 187 photos, 10 travelogues