"Santarem - Pearl of River Tapajos" Santarém by mircaskirca
Santarém Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 44 photos
Santarem, the third largest city of the Brazilian strech of the Amazon river, is located in the center, halfway between Manaus and Belem. The city is at the confluence of the aquamarine river Tapajos and the muddy waters of Amazon.
Formally the main village of the indigenous Tapajos Indians, it became a city in 1661 and today Santarem is the second largest town in the state of Para. Until recently, it was a somewhat secluded jungle city, with an economy based primarily on wild harvesting and fishing. The later history of Santarem was marked by the wood, then rubber and more recently minerals. The most noteworthy of these may have been Henry Ford. He left his mark on this country in the form of two rubber plantations - Fordlandia and Belterra. Today this laid-back city has a new boom on the horizon - soybeans.
Santarem-based trips can take you into a little-known part of the Amazon, with few foreign visitors, to places where the ecosystem is greatly different from those around Manaus and Belem. And one of the main reasons why people come to Santarem is certainly a visit to Alter do Chao, one of the pretiest fresh-water beaches of the Amazon.
There are two ways of getting to Santarem, by plane or by boat. The fastest and far more comfortable is by plane.... more travel advice
The meeting of the green-blue Tapajos river with the ochre-coloured waters of the Amazon, which flow alongside each... more travel advice
mircaskirca's Related Pages
Santarém Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Santarem - Pearl of River Tapajos"
- "A river city without glamour"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santarém
- Hotels in Santarém
- Transportation in Santarém
- Nightlife in Santarém
- Restaurants in Santarém
- Shopping in Santarém
- Warnings and Dangers in Santarém
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santarém
- 10 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Santarém?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santarém
- Posted in Travel León Forum "Re: busses from Leon tot Granada"
- updated a Santarém Travel Page "Santarem - Pearl of River Tapajos"
- Commented on one of melosh's Santarém travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Alter do Chao - A Little Piece of Heaven"
- Wrote a Review With Gol to Santarem in Santarém Transportation
Photos in SantarémSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 52 reviews, 321 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 282 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 44 reviews, 258 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia Intro, 40 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogotá Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cali Intro, 37 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 41 reviews, 217 photos, 10 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 40 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Isla de Providencia Intro, 26 reviews, 194 photos, 10 travelogues
- São Luís Intro, 25 reviews, 187 photos, 10 travelogues