"Trancoso" Trancoso by mircaskirca
Trancoso Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 114 photos
Trancoso is a tiny rustic village in the south of Bahia. Founded by Jesuit missionaries in 1586, its firs name was St. John Baptist of the Indians. It is quite a bit smaller than its northern neighbour Arraial d'Ajuda. The pace of life in Trancoso is always calm and laid-back.
Life here circles around the downtown plaza called Quadrado (the Square) where the pedestrians have the right of way - no cars allowed. The small square that is historical Trancoso is lined with colourful buildings. It's a place to pass late afternoon and evening. This is where everybody goes for shopping, dining and people-watching. Also the most stylish pousadas you'll find here. At the far end of the square, toward the cliffs that overlook the ocean, is the town church, looking exactly as it did in the 1500s.
During the day most of the people are enjoying many beautiful beaches. Northern and southern beaches are separated by the river Trancoso.
The main beach, Praia dos Nativos, is below the village on the north side and this is where beach bars and activities are. It is great for swimming. The farthest you probably want to walk to the north is to Praia Rio da Barra, which is one of the prettiest beaches in the area, at the mouth of the Barra river. It is about three kilometers from the village.
While on the south side of the village are beaches with slightly more turbulent waters, although they are nevertheless excellent for swimming. The first beach you come to on the south coast is Praia dos Coqueiros and the following are Praia do Rio Verde, Praia Jacuma, the famous Praia do Espelho and Curuipe. But it is quite a long walk to get to there.
At night there are a couple of stalls/bars at the entrance to Quadrado. My favourite was the one of Leandro and Chico... more travel advice
I adore Brazilian self-service restaurants 'a kilo', where you choose the food and pay it by weight. So you can always... more travel advice
mircaskirca's Related Pages
Trancoso Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MEMORIES OF 2002 NEW YEAR'S EVE!"
- "A paradise to relax!!"
- "Trancoso, my second home"
- "The paradise city"
- "trancoso the best beach"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trancoso
- Hotels in Trancoso
- Transportation in Trancoso
- Nightlife in Trancoso
- Restaurants in Trancoso
- Shopping in Trancoso
- Warnings and Dangers in Trancoso
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trancoso
- 8 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Trancoso?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trancoso
Photos in TrancosoSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 52 reviews, 321 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 282 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 44 reviews, 258 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia Intro, 40 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogotá Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cali Intro, 37 reviews, 222 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 41 reviews, 217 photos, 10 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 40 reviews, 184 photos, 5 travelogues
- Isla de Providencia Intro, 26 reviews, 194 photos, 10 travelogues
- São Luís Intro, 25 reviews, 187 photos, 10 travelogues