"The Savings Bond Capital of the United States" Parkersburg by kevanrijn

Parkersburg Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 133 photos

When I finishing unpacking my bags

This town is where I hang my hat. This town is where I graduated from High School--then left... to travel the world...then came back to live. Parkersburg is known as the "savings bond capital of the U.S." because the majority of the Bureau of Public Debt (a part of the U.S. Treasury Department) is located here. The Bureau of Public Debt is charged with a Very Important Job--they are the folks who are responsible for borrowing the money needed to operate the federal government. And with Bush in office (and the whopping big record setting deficient the US currently has) they are more essential and important than ever!

The borrowing is accomplished through the sales of US Treasury bills, notes, bonds and TIPS, as well as US savings bonds. The bureau pays interest to investors and redeems investors' securities. So if you've ever bought a T-Bill, savings bond or other government note--somewhere in Parkersburg something happened because of that.

There's something about Parkersburg

which is important to understand--besides that they are home to the Bureau of Public Debt. Parkersburg is only the largest of a string of towns along this short stretch of the Ohio River between the confluence of the Muskingum River and the Ohio River on the Ohio side and the Little Kanawha River and the Ohio River on the West Virginia side. This fourteen mile stretch of the river is home to five towns--Parkersburg, Vienna, and Williamstown on the West Virginia side of the river, and Marietta and Belpre on the Ohio side of the river.

I'm going to do as the statisticians do, and treat the five cities as one area.

There are a number of "not to be missed" things to do in the area--visiting Blennerhassett Island and Mansion, walking the Julia-Ann Square historic district in Parkersburg, buying books at the Trans-Alleghany bookstore in Parkersburg, visiting the Oil and Gas Museum in downtown Parkersburg, touring the Middleton Doll museum and shop in Belpre, visiting the Fenton Glass Factory in Williamstown, shopping in Marietta...I could go on, but that's enough for a start.

Now that I've explained

about Parkersburg, Vienna, Williamstown, Marietta and Belpre--how they are all so close together that I decided to treat them as one entity, I should explain a little about the history of this area. But it will have to wait--I've got other things I need to get to right now.

• Pros:Friendly folks, beautiful area, lots to do and see
  • Cons:Our good quality Indian restaurant moved to Athens, Ohio!
  • In a nutshell:The crown jewel of the mid-Ohio Valley River Cities
  • Last visit to Parkersburg: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated May 17, 2012

• Sep 27, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Thanks for posting - what a beautiful little park! I may have missed a step, but I counted 175 steps. It was fun cardio. I had a triple bypass last year, and paused every thirty steps. Still it's pretty easy climb. Swell view from the top.

• Mar 5, 2008 at 8:52 PM

you might want to mention craft 2000 there are only 2 of these in the usa... when i come home i go to don amilios for lunch and energy and then off to craft 2000. btw i love your posts i grew up in parkersburg/williamstown area beth

• Jan 28, 2008 at 4:10 PM

have you ever been to holls? best chocolate ever!! ..im serious...best ever....=)

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2008 at 10:49 PM

Fenton Art Glass Factory really looks like they do good stuff, hope they do not close down ever ;-)

• Nov 26, 2007 at 2:40 PM

I've been passing this outlet/distribution center for about 2 years, since my son moved to North Carolina. Thank you so much for your wonderful directions. I'm a true Coldwater Creek gal!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2007 at 10:32 PM

Just a wonderful group of tips. I especially enjoyed the restaurants, parks, and shopping. But, my favorite was Pete and repeat. I love Coldwater Creek clothing. A joy to read and view your work.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2007 at 6:12 PM

Hi Kim - Thanks for touring Rome with me and hope you threw that coin in Trevi and return soon. Really enjoyed your detailed writing and photos here. Will return often. Ciao, Carol

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2007 at 10:56 AM

I have not been to Parkersburg in over 30 years. However I do phone Parkersburg every week. I'm an accountant and have to talk with the Bureau of Public Debt every week.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2007 at 5:59 AM

I'd love to do the house tours in your town. Seems you have some real treasures! Enjoyed Pete & RePete, too. :-)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2007 at 8:05 PM

Wow, Parkersburg looks like an open-air museum of various architectural styles and a great landmark of US history. I believe it is a must when visiting the East US! I have never succeeded in enjoying Root Beer though I tried hard!

kevanrijn Lives Here!

kevanrijn

“Thursday's Child has far to go....”

Badges & Stats in Parkersburg

Have you been to Parkersburg?

Friends