"Halifax - pretty, small and full of history..." Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax by BlueBeth

Halifax Travel Guide: 181 reviews and 1,087 photos

Update - blimey that's old!

Halifax is a small industrial town set in the Calder Valley in West Yorkshire. It's right in the heart of the Pennines and has some beautiful surrounding countryside.
Home to the old saying 'From Hell, Hull and Halifax, Lord preserve us', which points to the fact that Halifax was the last place in England to use the Gibbet as a form of punishment... Quite an extreme form of punishment but those were the times... (See my pubs travelogue for a pic of the gibbet)

I've been doing a bit of reading about my home town and the earliest mention is of 13 houses in 1453... That's quite old that... Ok it's not old by Roman, Egyptian or Chinese standards but pretty old all the same...

Architecture

There are some great buildings in Halifax if you stop to look. Our town hall is a great example. It was designed by Charles Barry - yes the same guy that designed the parliament building!

Piece Hall

The Piece Hall was opened on 1st January 1779. It was built as a place for handloom weavers to sell their pieces of cloth, hence the name, and was a replacement for an earlier, smaller, Cloth Hall.

It's a fascinating structure and houses over 40 little shops all around the balconies. In the summer the lawns are covered with people sprawled out enjoying the sun (and an ice cream or two) and concerts are held regularly. Fans of the film Brassed Off (V. English film about a brass band) will have seen it as the venue for the band competition.

Update-see my things to do tip on Skating here

• Pros:I live here!
  • Cons:It can get a bit rowdy at weekends
  • In a nutshell:It's pretty, it's small, it's home!
  • Last visit to Halifax: Nov 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 7, 2006

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2007 at 11:52 AM

Birthday greetings from Alaska!

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2007 at 6:27 AM

Nice look at your hometown, Beth. Glad to see you're a sports fan. BTW, I visited your Man of the Year travelogues. I think #2 should be #1. LOVE how far down in the water that lard-butted guy is sinking that boat. What a jerk. :)

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2007 at 3:33 AM

This is real gem of a page. I'd never thought of Halifax as pretty before, but you've made me see it in a whole new light. I'll make a point of coming there for a quiet drink one Saturday night, perhaps after watching a match at the Shay.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2007 at 8:34 PM

Thanks for stopping by. Your Halifax is about 300 years old than mine. ..looks pretty cool . Maybe I'll get there one of these days!

• balfor's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2006 at 7:18 AM

Well, I've not been to the UK in a few years, so that will have to change soon. I'm sure that when I make it back there, some folks are going to want me to use their kitchens! :-)

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2006 at 3:52 AM

Hi Beth, great Halifax pages, but I'll be sure to avoid Saturday nights! fergy

• GrantBoone's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2006 at 4:48 AM

Wheres the photo of The Shay!?!!!

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2006 at 9:24 AM

Hm I think I may have missed a lovely place on my way up north... Only stopped in Bradford so far!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2006 at 5:33 PM

nice page. i should come and visit one day.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2006 at 8:11 AM

Never actually been to Halifax. I'll make sure to avoid it on a Saturday night!!!!!

BlueBeth Used To Live Here!

BlueBeth

“Conto di passare tre giorni a Firenze”

Badges & Stats in Halifax

Have you been to Halifax?

Photos in Halifax