"Halifax - pretty, small and full of history..." Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax by BlueBeth
Halifax Travel Guide: 181 reviews and 1,087 photos
Halifax is a small industrial town set in the Calder Valley in West Yorkshire. It's right in the heart of the Pennines and has some beautiful surrounding countryside.
Home to the old saying 'From Hell, Hull and Halifax, Lord preserve us', which points to the fact that Halifax was the last place in England to use the Gibbet as a form of punishment... Quite an extreme form of punishment but those were the times... (See my pubs travelogue for a pic of the gibbet)
I've been doing a bit of reading about my home town and the earliest mention is of 13 houses in 1453... That's quite old that... Ok it's not old by Roman, Egyptian or Chinese standards but pretty old all the same...
There are some great buildings in Halifax if you stop to look. Our town hall is a great example. It was designed by Charles Barry - yes the same guy that designed the parliament building!
The Piece Hall was opened on 1st January 1779. It was built as a place for handloom weavers to sell their pieces of cloth, hence the name, and was a replacement for an earlier, smaller, Cloth Hall.
It's a fascinating structure and houses over 40 little shops all around the balconies. In the summer the lawns are covered with people sprawled out enjoying the sun (and an ice cream or two) and concerts are held regularly. Fans of the film Brassed Off (V. English film about a brass band) will have seen it as the venue for the band competition.
Update-see my things to do tip on Skating here
- Pros:I live here!
- Cons:It can get a bit rowdy at weekends
- In a nutshell:It's pretty, it's small, it's home!
No really... The Shay has been under construction for as long as I can remember! As you all know, I'm actually a... more travel advice
Wainhouse Tower (or Wainhouse's folly as it is also known) is a great big tower overlooking the Calder Valley. Built in... more travel advice
BlueBeth's Related Pages
Halifax Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A SMASHIN' TIME IN HALIFAX UK"
- "VTers hit Halifax and surrounding area"
- "IT'S A BLAST !"
- "My first Rushbearing Meet"
- "Halifax - pretty, small and full of history..."
- "Halifax... the home of the Building Society"
- "Halifax and Calderdale"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Halifax
- Hotels in Halifax
- Transportation in Halifax
- Nightlife in Halifax
- Restaurants in Halifax
- Shopping in Halifax
- Warnings and Dangers in Halifax
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Halifax
- 12 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Halifax?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Halifax
Photos in HalifaxSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- Leeds Intro, 10 reviews, 3 photos
- Manchester Intro, 7 reviews, 4 photos
- Rome Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Sydney Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Florence Intro, 6 reviews, 2 photos
- Edinburgh Intro, 6 reviews, 2 photos
- Florida Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Pisa Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos