"I Love The Far East" soundchaseruk's Profile

Taking The Opportunities

When i was just in work at about 17 years old i went with ATLAS in a mini bus and 11 others I had never met, on a camping organised trip through Europe and into Yugoslavia. It was that or the trip to Kathmandu, but I didn't have enough time for that trip. A year before when I was 16 I went alone to Frederikshavn in Denmark, to visit a girl penfriend (those were the days before email and webcams). I was travelling to meet her and felt quite at home doing the trip alone.

At 19 I travelled with a work friend by train and bus through France and Spain, which when I look back on it was my first backpacking trip. As the years ticked by I got married had 2 children (now adults), and had some lovely holidays (only one in a hotel package) in Europe, Turkey and Scandinavia.

Then in 2007 I asked my wife if she would mind if I went to Asia alone? It allowed her to go away with her two girlfriends from work to Turkey. So we holidayed together, but then in late summer we went our own ways.

China was just the culture shock I wanted and I never felt out of my depth not speaking Cantonese or travelling alone. Being out going I met many people and found the whole experience life changing. Not only did I never want milk with tea ever again, but I had got the travel bug. I was infected. LOL

I thought this was a "one off" experience, but luckily and quite amazingly I was able to go to Thialand in 2011 and then this year (2012) to China once again. I would never travel alone and leave my wife without a holiday so it works well when we have time in Turkey together, then she goes with friends.

As we all get older it is important to take opportunities to do what we desire (within reason) as one never knows what is around the corner. if i were single i would no doubt travel East every year, and maybe even live there, but I am not and one must be fair with ones partner.

• Intro Updated Dec 28, 2012

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Hi Keith, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and Family : )

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:30 AM

Hi Keith, Happy Birthday! Enjoy your trip to China!

• rosata's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday, Keith! :)

• DaHongHua's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2012 at 12:07 AM

A warm happy birthday greeting from Malaysia. Best wishes to you to keep on travelling interest. Cheers.

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Enjoy reading your pages...great photos too!

• soundchaseruk's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2012 at 9:58 AM

This year I am going back to China. I will fly to Shanghai then settle into Shaoxing for a few days. After spending a few days in Kanchantaburi Thailand last year (instead of moving around all the time) I felt I ought to get the feel of this beautiful city by walking, cycling and going out for days. After that I make my way westward to guangzhuo, and then onto Guillin. I want to explore the ethnic communities and see the drum houses. two weeks is no where near long enough but I shall fly out from HK and back to the UK

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Sounds great, look forward to seeing the photos :-)

• adriansyah's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2012 at 10:34 AM

great tips and pics. How is it going?

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Hi, After reading you home page, I think you will enjoy Thailand too!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
soundchaseruk's Profile Photo

soundchaseruk

“Backpacking Alone Is My new Drug”

Real Name