"I Love The Far East" soundchaseruk's Profile
When i was just in work at about 17 years old i went with ATLAS in a mini bus and 11 others I had never met, on a camping organised trip through Europe and into Yugoslavia. It was that or the trip to Kathmandu, but I didn't have enough time for that trip. A year before when I was 16 I went alone to Frederikshavn in Denmark, to visit a girl penfriend (those were the days before email and webcams). I was travelling to meet her and felt quite at home doing the trip alone.
At 19 I travelled with a work friend by train and bus through France and Spain, which when I look back on it was my first backpacking trip. As the years ticked by I got married had 2 children (now adults), and had some lovely holidays (only one in a hotel package) in Europe, Turkey and Scandinavia.
Then in 2007 I asked my wife if she would mind if I went to Asia alone? It allowed her to go away with her two girlfriends from work to Turkey. So we holidayed together, but then in late summer we went our own ways.
China was just the culture shock I wanted and I never felt out of my depth not speaking Cantonese or travelling alone. Being out going I met many people and found the whole experience life changing. Not only did I never want milk with tea ever again, but I had got the travel bug. I was infected. LOL
I thought this was a "one off" experience, but luckily and quite amazingly I was able to go to Thialand in 2011 and then this year (2012) to China once again. I would never travel alone and leave my wife without a holiday so it works well when we have time in Turkey together, then she goes with friends.
As we all get older it is important to take opportunities to do what we desire (within reason) as one never knows what is around the corner. if i were single i would no doubt travel East every year, and maybe even live there, but I am not and one must be fair with ones partner.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 63 Reviews
- 191 Photos
- 6 Countries
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
- Commented on chandni.joshi's profile page
- Posted in Travel Goa Forum "Another Alternative?"
- Uploaded a Video to Turunc
- soundchaseruk and Donna_in_India are now friends.
- Wrote a Review Useful website for Turunc Turkey in Turunc Things to Do
- Commented on the City Centre Pubs, Cambridge travel guide
- Uploaded a Photo to "Shantaram Novel"
- created a Guilin Travel Page "Guilin - Home Of Rivers and Mountains"
updated their Profile Page "I Love The Far East"
VideosSee All Videos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- China Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turunc Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos
- Cambridge Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Turkey Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Guangzhou Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos
- Guilin Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Mumbai 1 review, 1 photo
- Shanghai Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Paris Hotels
- 22479 Reviews - 55020 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7926 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23320 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2028 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3098 Reviews - 5880 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26762 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos