"Wow! I Didn't Know It Could Be THIS Bad" Dushanbe by Greatwalk0
Dushanbe Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 96 photos
Traveling predominantly in Southern and Eastern Europe and Africa (where we stay in very posh hotels) it is easy to get spoiled. Tajikistan smacks you in the face and brings you back to reality.
Amongst other things (corrupt police, etc.) one of the challenges I faced in Dushanbe was frequent power outages (often lasting several hours) and contaminated water in my hotel room. Electricity I can live without. Water? Now, that's another story.
Travelers will find a certain charm in the backwoods of Tajikistan, but I do strongly advise that this place is only for the extremely flexible and understanding.
One of Dushanbe's saving graces is some great sashlique! With numerous restaurants scattered across the city, you will not be disappointed if you are a carnivore.
Here I am with some of our project's staff enjoying a long lunch on a Friday afternoon.
Tajikistan is still very much authoritarian and communist. Private citizens cannot own land and the state controls virtually everything. This makes for an interesting trip. In Dushanbe, one can easily appreciate what it must have been like living behind the Iron Curtain during the Cold War.
- Pros:Take a step back behind the Iron Curtain
- Cons:Almost everything else
Flying regionally in Central Asia is probably not the safest thing in the world. That being said, it is rather exciting.... more travel advice
When walking around Dushanbe, particularly Children's Park (see photo of Lenin Statue from Childrens Park in downtown... more travel advice
Greatwalk0's Related Pages
Dushanbe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Dushanbe Sojourn"
- "Hub to the Pamirs"
- "Visit Dushanbe"
- "Tajikistan is..."
- "Monday, Monday!"
- "Dushanbe - a faded jewel"
- "Dushanbe, Tajikistan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dushanbe
- Hotels in Dushanbe
- Transportation in Dushanbe
- Nightlife in Dushanbe
- Restaurants in Dushanbe
- Shopping in Dushanbe
- Warnings and Dangers in Dushanbe
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dushanbe
- 7 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Dushanbe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dushanbe
Photos in DushanbeSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pristina Intro, 43 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tirana Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 21 reviews, 10 photos
- Yerevan Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Bishkek Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Dushanbe Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Johannesburg 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Skopje Intro, 10 reviews, 5 photos
No friends yet.