"Not What You've Been Told!" Top 5 Page for this destination Lagos by dedan1975

Lagos Travel Guide: 121 reviews and 243 photos

Don't Drink the Kool-Aid!

I was warned about how dangerous this city was. From reading the internet blogs I thought it would be on par with Baghdad in terms of chances of being murdered. Perhaps this place was dangerous back in the day, but if you can handle North Philly or Southeast DC you'll be more than okay here!

Of course I'm African-American and blend in a little better than the typical "foreign investor" from Denmark or Provo, Utah so maybe my opinion isn't valid for most of the readership here. Not sure.

I found the people to be friendly, and while the airport was a bit chaotic, it too was not as bad as what I had been told. Yes, you may have to slip a few bucks to someone here or there, but if you "act right" it will be no more than the tips you dole out at Dulles or LAX.

In other words. Don't drink the Kool-Aid! Lagos is not that bad.

• Last visit to Lagos: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 2, 2006

• Oct 19, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Thanks for your review! I thought it was insightful as I am planning a trip there to visit my father's family who lives there next month! After reading reports online, I have become so worried & stressed out about all of the dangers that have been reported! I'm American, black with dreadlocks, & am originally from D.C. I now feel like I should be ok & will definitely bring my common sense, anti malaria pills & cash instead of credit cards.

dedan1975's Related Pages

dedan1975 Visits Here Frequently!

Badges & Stats in Lagos