"Budapest, the "Phoenix bird", my lovely home city" Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest by 1courage
Budapest Travel Guide: 7,710 reviews and 17,863 photos
Living in Budapest, well, I think it`s a very big luck for me, altough, like everything in the World, Budapest is not perfect at all. She has all the problems that every big Capitol has, but at the same time she has all the beauties wich only a great city can offer for it`s inhabitants and for it`s visitors.
Let`s sum up a bit the most important caracteristics of Budapest. Wich are the things that you find here if you decide to take a visit?
1. First of all, you can find a city that simply never gives up. The history of Budapest is the history of continuos variation of destructions and reconstructions; devastating Wars and flourishing periods of Peace; glory & shame; happiness & sorrow; lively summers and grey winters.
2. You can find fantastic architectual masterpieces, like the Parliament, the Opera House, the Chain Bridge, the Heroes square, churches, museums and lots of other sights wich I`m going to present you in my tips.
3. You can find a majestic river, the Danube wich cuts the city in two and wich hopefully will be blue again within some years like Johann Strauss described her in his world famous waltz.
4. You can find here fabulous views from all around the Buda hills, the Citadel, the Castle district, the towers of the churches and the Basilica.
5. You can find here the famous thermal baths, like the Rudas turkish bath, the Széchenyi neobaroque bath and the Gellért Art noveau bath among others. Beyond this Budapest has the 2 biggest subterranean thermal lakes of the World and some beautiful caves (Pálvölgyi, Szemlőhegyi and the recently descovered Gellérthegyi chrystal caves) as well.
6. And finally you can find here many friendly and some less friendly locals >;-)
At the beginning of the XIX.century, the territory of what we call today Budapest (that time Pest-Buda and Óbuda) was just home to 3 little towns. After 1867 the development of the city accelerated and in 1873 these three towns became one. The whole innercity of Pest that you can see nowdays was constructed within c.ca 30-35 years in a very homogenous eclectic style.
At the beginning of the XX.century the eclectic style was replaced by the new tendence, the secessionism. In Hungary this style became very unique thanks to the utilisation of the folcloric elements and to the Zsolnay manufactory, wich created a special material, called "pyrogranite". You can see ornaments made by this material on almost every secessionist rooftop and facade.
- Pros:Well, just take a visit, and figure it out Yourself!
- Cons:Dunno...maybe there are some-but nothing is perfect, so who cares?
- In a nutshell:I think that this is a very beautiful city anyway!
The japanese people surely have a very big talent in constructing gardens. Copying their style is surely not a crime.... more travel advice
The english says: easy like sunday morning. That`s by the way true and quite funny. But I say: easy like shooting photos... more travel advice
- Swimming pools on the Margareth island
- Madamme Pompadour`s bar
- See All Chess playing in the thermal water
- Neobaroque wonder/The New York cafe
1courage's Related Pages
Budapest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Budapest - My dear hometown! :)"
- "Budapest, the "Phoenix bird", my lovely home city"
- "A fantastic town along the Danube River"
- "A New Year, A New City"
- "SUCH A GORGEOUS CITY"
- "I could get used to this!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Budapest
- Hotels in Budapest
- Transportation in Budapest
- Nightlife in Budapest
- Restaurants in Budapest
- Shopping in Budapest
- Warnings and Dangers in Budapest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Budapest
- 278 Reviews
- 1,314 Photos
- 38 Forum posts
- 54 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Budapest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Budapest
- updated a Budapest Travel Page "Budapest, the "Phoenix bird", my lovely home city"
- Commented on one of Swiss_Yalcin's Budapest travel pages
- Wrote a Review The japanese garden about Margharet Island - Margit-Sziget in Budapest Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The ex- Palace of the Post"
- Posted in Travel Budapest Forum "Re: Smoking"
Photos in BudapestSee All Photos (1314)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 278 reviews, 1314 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Veszprem Intro, 37 reviews, 151 photos
- Vac Intro, 26 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tihany Intro, 18 reviews, 88 photos
- Gyor Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Szekesfehervar Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Rome Intro, 3 photos
- Florence Intro, 3 photos
- Prague Intro, 3 photos
- Geneva Intro, 3 photos