"Vác, a lovely, pleasant baroque town near Budapest" Vac by 1courage

Vac Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 106 photos

the newly reconstructed Main Square

I studied in Vác for 5 years, and I consider this charming old town one of the most beautiful places in Hungary. I hope that one day I shall come here to live.
For me Vác represents the perfect town.
I don`t understand, why the tourists prefer Szentendre (also very cute, see my page) to make a daytrip, for me is beyond every doubt that Vác can offer much more.
So, if you visit Budapest and you have a free day, I recomend you to take a visit here. You won`t regret it, i garantee it to you.

The cathedral of Vác

The late baroque-pre-classical cathedral was built between 1761 and 1772. The internal decoration, made mostly by the world famous painter, Franz Anton Maulbertsch, was finished in 1777.

Church with the rests of the Vác Castle

From the promenade of the Danube shore you can see the magnificent view of the Holy Cross church

• Pros:Baroque innercity, the Danube shore, restaurants and much more...
  • Cons:None, really!
  • In a nutshell:A beautiful and very friendly town-ideal daytrip from Budapest
  • Last visit to Vac: May 2009
  • Intro Updated Apr 19, 2010

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Stunning place, pity I did not get time to visit ;-)

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Nice church tips, I love reading about old churches.

• Apr 3, 2008 at 3:07 AM

Another really interesting page on Hungary. Very useful

• socrates_07's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2007 at 3:30 PM

So, Vác is often called "City of the churches"? I wonder, if there are as many churches as in Krakow, haha! Anyway, next time when I am in Budapest, I will prefer to go to Vác ... and not to Szentendre.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2007 at 2:29 PM

Vac looks like a really beautiful town and your descriptions and photos paint a very clear picture. I hope to see it some day, when I get to spend some time in Hungary :))

• Propermark's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Hai ragione, sembra davvero un posto carino per una visita veloce.. e che mi dici di Szeged?

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2007 at 1:37 AM

Vac is a beautiful looking little city! I especially liked your views of the Promenade and the Danube river. I can see why Vac is called the city of churches and the White Church with its crypt sounds very interesting!

• May 30, 2007 at 1:23 AM

Szeretem Vácot, de azért Szentendrét még jobban:) Szép oldal!

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Bellissima pagina!!! E' impressionante vedere quante chiese ci siano in una città di soli 32000 abitanti!!! Molto bella!!

1courage Visits Here Frequently!

Badges & Stats in Vac