"Zsámbék-the town of the ghost church" Zsambek by 1courage
Zsambek Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 2 photos
This ruined church was built between 1220 and 1234. For a long time it could be considered very lucky: it survived even the turkish occupation almost intact when hundreds of medieval churches were destroyed or transformed in mosques.
Then, in 1763 a big earthquake shooke this reagion, destroying this late romanesque-pre gothic masterpiece. It was never ever rebuilt, and unfortunately the latter reconstructions wanted clearly searate the old original parts from the reconstructed ones, and this is why some parts of the ruin have a very different colour from the rests.
- Pros:The church is just fabulous, friendly neighbourhoods
- Cons:The reconstruction of the church with red bricks:(
- In a nutshell:A really nice daytrip destination from Budapest!
1courage's Related Pages
Zsambek Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Zsambek
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Zsambek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zsambek
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 278 reviews, 1314 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Veszprem Intro, 37 reviews, 151 photos
- Vac Intro, 26 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tihany Intro, 18 reviews, 88 photos
- Gyor Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Szekesfehervar Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Rome Intro, 3 photos
- Prague Intro, 3 photos
- Florence Intro, 3 photos
- Geneva Intro, 3 photos