"Shigatse" Top 5 Page for this destination Xigaze by nattybabe
Xigaze Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 181 photos
The drive to Shigatse is a relatively short one from Gyantse predominantly along the valley floor before arriving at Tibet's 2nd largest city.
It is the seat of the Panchen Lama who ranks close to the Dalai Lama. The Panchen Lama is a reincarnation of Amitabha, the Buddha of Infinite Light.
Currently, the 10th Panchen Lama passed away in 1989 and the heir to the vacted throne is the subject of much controversy. A 6 year old boy Gedun Choekyi Nyima was announced in May 1995 by the Dalai Lama but a subsequent, more appropriate heir has been chosen at the request of the Chinese Government. In the meantime, the Dalai Lama's choice remains in Beijing under virtual house arrest.
Besides the politics, Shigatse is a pleasant enough place to spend some time whether it be bargaining over the numerous handicrafts in the market, walking the kora with the numerous pilgrims and dogs or taking in the view from the ruined fort atop the nearby hill.
The monastery is 130km from Shigatse and Sakya means "Grey Soil" in Tibetan as it is surrounded by grey soil. Sakya is... more travel advice
We stayed at Gyangyan Hotel which is located just across from the Monastery and is within very easy walking distance... more travel advice
nattybabe's Related Pages
Xigaze Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shigatse - home of the Tashilhunpo Monastery"
- "Xigaze, the Panchen Lama residence"
- "XIGAZE OR SHIGATSE - EITHER WAY, GASUNHEIT!"
- "Sharrie's Xigaze Holiness"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Xigaze
- Hotels in Xigaze
- Transportation in Xigaze
- Restaurants in Xigaze
- Shopping in Xigaze
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Xigaze
- 6 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Xigaze?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Xigaze
Photos in XigazeSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Dubai Intro, 22 reviews, 82 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 14 reviews, 46 photos
- Lhasa Intro, 11 reviews, 45 photos
- Beijing Intro, 19 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Chitwan Intro, 12 reviews, 43 photos
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos
- Kanchanaburi Intro, 9 reviews, 33 photos
- Cusco Intro, 11 reviews, 26 photos
- Xi'an Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos
No friends yet.