Gansu Sheng Things to Do Tips by nattybabe
Gansu Sheng Things to Do: 16 reviews and 21 photos
If you take a walk through Sertri Gompa monastery and keep going towards the mountains you will find the mediation cave. This has been used by monks for centuries and is primarily used as a test for a strong spirit.
The belief is that when you die your spirit lies in limbo for several weeks before it is reincarnated. This time is very scary but if you test your spirit beforehand you know that you can handle it. The test is that you need to crawl through a small tunnel inside the cave and once done you are prepared for death. Interesting!!
Just outside of Sertri Gompa monastery are the water prayer wheels. They are situated on top of a small stream and the force of the water makes the wheels turn sending prayers to the Gods.
This is a very pretty sight on your way to the mediation cave and on into the mountains.
Both these large monasteries are of the Gelukpa sect of Buddhism of which the Gandam Tripa is the head priest. It was the 53rd Gandam Tripa who founded the Srtri Gompa (seat of gold) in 1748.
During the Cultural Revolution the monastery was totally devasteed, however reconstruction began in 1981. It is once again a working monastery and the home of approximately 400 monks.
The large Kirti Gompa on the southern hil was also ruined during the Cultural Revolution but is now the home of some 700 resident monks. Its former Lams, Kirti Tulku fled to India during the Cultural Revolution and founded a monastery in Dharamsala, where he has also held office in the Tibetan Government in Exile.
These two monasteries have enaged in an old age power struggle for control and influence over the surrounding nomadic areas. The settling of the provincial boundaries in between the two is a modern incarnation of this centuries old rivalry.
nattybabe's Related Pages
Gansu Sheng Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gansu - Along the Ancient Silk Road"
- "Gansu, where the nomads roam"
- "Langmusi/Tatsang Lhamo"
- "The wild dusty place"
- "Jiayuguan, Gansu Province, West China"
- "Xiahe & Labrang Monastery & Sanke Grasslands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gansu Sheng
- Hotels in Gansu Sheng
- Transportation in Gansu Sheng
- Nightlife in Gansu Sheng
- Restaurants in Gansu Sheng
- Shopping in Gansu Sheng
- Warnings and Dangers in Gansu Sheng
- See All...
Explore the World
- Union Island Hotels
- Stockton Hotels
- Upper Heyford Hotels
- Muhafazat al Bahr al Ahmar
- Stourton Hotels
Badges & Stats in Gansu Sheng
- 9 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Gansu Sheng?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gansu Sheng
Top 10 Pages
- Dubai Intro, 22 reviews, 82 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 14 reviews, 46 photos
- Lhasa Intro, 11 reviews, 45 photos
- Beijing Intro, 19 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Chitwan Intro, 12 reviews, 43 photos
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos
- Kanchanaburi Intro, 9 reviews, 33 photos
- Cusco Intro, 11 reviews, 26 photos
- Xi'an Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos
No friends yet.
Top Gansu Sheng hotels
- Dunhuang Hotels
- 99 Reviews - 247 Photos
- Lanzhou Hotels
- 98 Reviews - 188 Photos
- Zhangye Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 35 Photos
- Xiahe Hotels
- 77 Reviews - 211 Photos
- Jiayuguan Hotels
- 67 Reviews - 122 Photos
- Tianshui Hotels
- 17 Hotels
- Liancheng Hotels
- 6 Reviews
- Pingliang Hotels
- 15 Hotels
- Wuwei Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 8 Photos
- Jinchang Hotels
- 9 Hotels
- Tianshui Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 16 Photos
- Huai'an Hotels
- 1 Hotel