"Langmusi/Tatsang Lhamo" Gansu Sheng by nattybabe
Gansu Sheng Travel Guide: 541 reviews and 1,295 photos
Langmusi, literally meaning "fairy monastery" is situated on the main Gansu to Sichuan highway track. Thr town was so named after an ancient legend that tells of a fairy turned into stone on a mountain not far away. The town now harbours two monasteries, facing each other over the river and valley bottom and housing around 1,200 monks.
It was orginally built as a crucial academic institute for lamas studying Tibetan Buddhism, but gradully lost importance, forming a sharp contrast with the incresingly popular Labrang Monastery of Xiahe.
The town still remains, despite a few signs of decaying prosperity (or perhaps because of them), a beautiful place, not overly plagued by tourists.
The mountain cliffs that rear up to both the east and west of the small town are breathtaking, giving the whole area a kind of swiss alpine charm. These and other mountains in the area can be scaled to give spectacular, though desolate views of this remote area.
The sky burials up here, where deceased locals are cut up and left to the vultures are best left alone.
The main place to eat in Langmusi is Lesha's on the main street. It is written up in the Lonely Planet and consequently... more travel advice
If you take a walk through Sertri Gompa monastery and keep going towards the mountains you will find the mediation cave.... more travel advice
nattybabe's Related Pages
Gansu Sheng Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gansu - Along the Ancient Silk Road"
- "Gansu, where the nomads roam"
- "Langmusi/Tatsang Lhamo"
- "The wild dusty place"
- "Jiayuguan, Gansu Province, West China"
- "Xiahe & Labrang Monastery & Sanke Grasslands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gansu Sheng
- Hotels in Gansu Sheng
- Transportation in Gansu Sheng
- Nightlife in Gansu Sheng
- Restaurants in Gansu Sheng
- Shopping in Gansu Sheng
- Warnings and Dangers in Gansu Sheng
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gansu Sheng
- 9 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Gansu Sheng?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gansu Sheng
Top 10 Pages
- Dubai Intro, 22 reviews, 82 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 14 reviews, 46 photos
- Lhasa Intro, 11 reviews, 45 photos
- Beijing Intro, 19 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Chitwan Intro, 12 reviews, 43 photos
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos
- Kanchanaburi Intro, 9 reviews, 33 photos
- Cusco Intro, 11 reviews, 26 photos
- Xi'an Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos
No friends yet.