"Humble Uruguay" Uruguay by Valeggua

Uruguay Travel Guide: 1,418 reviews and 3,382 photos

Our trip to Uruguay

December 2007 Christian took me to his birth country.
This was a totally different experience for me, I loved it! Uruguay's bright sun, beautiful blue air, quiet humble athmosfere and friendly people.
The blue and white flag, with one bright smiling sun, that's Uruguay..

We travelled from Sao Paolo to Montevideo, visited his relatives in Delta del Tigre, San José, maked trips to Colonia, Maldonado, Punta del Este and Chuy.

Montevideo

I fell in love with Montevideo's beautiful balconies, architecture, clean streets, and the most humble athmosfere I've ever experienced in any big capital city.

Day 1: We arrived to Montevideo y air from Sao Paolo. After checking in our hotel in ciudad vieja, we took lunch at 18 de Julio and took the bus to Delta del Tigre to surprise my family in law with our arrival.

Day 2: We took lunch at Mercado del Puerto and went to visit museo del Carnaval (!!!our passion first!!)
We walked by the long quiet Rambla. We couldn't last long. The sun in Uruguay is so very bright!!
In the evening we went to Teatro de Verano, where they were holding singing and dancing elections for carnaval.

Day 3: Paseo Cultural, A cultural day, because all museums in the city where open for free.
It was very crowded with music (plena/cumbia) everywhere!

Day 4: Visited some more museums and Pocitos beach.

Colonia del Sacramento, Maldonado, Chuy

Day 5: We went from Montevideo to Colonia del Sacramento by bus. Colonia really is BEAUTIFUL.
I swim in the Rio de la Plata (It's not gold, not orange or blue, I think the river is brown...) And wandered trough the beautiful streets (full of tourists from Argentina!)

Day 6: After staying overnight in Colonia we took the bus to San José to visit other relatives. I ate my first Uruguayan ASADO over there!

Day 7/ 8: Montevideo city walk

Day 9/10/11: We took the Colonia Express to Buenos Aires, Argentina

Day 12: Birtday Party of my boyfriend and his father in Delta del Tigre. Live Candombe and cumbia/plena band.

Day 13/14: Bus to Maldonado, walked trough Punta del Este (or should I say Punta del yesterday...) I felt too young for this, I did enjoy seeing the sea lions though.

Day 15/16: From Maldono to Chuy, (we stayed overnight at the Brazilian side, Chui).

day 16-21: Christmas with our relatives, searching hard for Candombe drums for my boyfriend (repique and chico) and left with the repique whitout any troubles at the airport!

Bye Bye beautiful sun, humble Uruguay, hope to visit you again during Carnaval!

• Pros:friendly, humble, beautiful historical buildings, great art, carnaval, meat
  • Cons:wide open spaces, with nothing special to see but grass
  • Last visit to Uruguay: Dec 2007
  • Intro Updated May 5, 2008

Comments

Valeggua Visits Here Frequently!

Valeggua

“Need to explore beauty..”

Badges & Stats in Uruguay

Have you been to Uruguay?

Latest Activity in Uruguay