"Sandals Ocho Rios" Jamaica by DJMist
Jamaica Travel Guide: 2,531 reviews and 5,065 photos
All-inclusive resort-style travel isn’t really my preferred method of seeing the world. Honestly I guessed it would be a nice retreat fashioned and tailored for tourists but devoid of any cultural experiences one could truly call Jamaican. However, when my father announced that he had a nice bonus and wanted to take everyone, how could I refuse?
Ten of us flew from various airports around the U.S. to Montego Bay and then boarded a bus to Ocho Rios. The trip is only 40 miles but took over 2 hours - road conditions are abysmal almost everywhere in Jamaica.
The staff at Sandals was fantastic as were the resort grounds. As I suspected, the resort was Disney-esque - ultra manicured with massive shade trees and exotic flowering shrubs, hammocks in secluded corners, a pool and hot tub around every corner – and man was it nice. While Sandals was an oasis retreat, it was in stark contrast to the world outside the walls. The first thing that is apparent is the widespread poverty. There are people that do live well but many do not. There are a large number of homes that are an accumulation of cinderblocks but not enough to complete a full room. They work on construction piecemeal, as funds are saved, because construction loans carry over 30% interest rates. Many others live in shanties made of discarded fiberglass sheeting and strung up fabric without running water. What is similar, both inside and out, is the natural beauty of the island and the carefree attitude of the people.
We took a bike ride led by a tour group. The group was led through the home of Sir Noel Coward, an actor, playwright,... more travel advice
All restaurants were included of which there were 6. There were two buffet style restaurants that open onto the beach or... more travel advice
DJMist's Related Pages
Jamaica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jamaica-love it or hate it!"
- "“No problem, mon”"
- "~ Jamaica The Island Of Paradise ~"
- "Island of surprises"
- "Jamaica...Paradise Found"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jamaica
- Hotels in Jamaica
- Transportation in Jamaica
- Nightlife in Jamaica
- Restaurants in Jamaica
- Shopping in Jamaica
- Warnings and Dangers in Jamaica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jamaica
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Jamaica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jamaica
Top 10 Pages
- Baton Rouge Intro, 18 reviews, 44 photos
- Montreal Intro, 13 reviews, 26 photos
- Chicago Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos
- Picayune Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Denver Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rocky Mountain National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Jamaica Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Los Angeles Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos