"Stockport... the Strong Silent Type" Top 5 Page for this destination Stockport by JamalMorelli

Stockport Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 390 photos

Saint George and the dream of Stockport

Haven't figured what I'll say here yet... just inspired by a mysterious man on the bus poiltely ranting "It could be a cathedral. It's not. They won't let Stockport be a real city and a have a cathedral." Thinking about you Mr MultipleFacePiercings. And thanks for helping me identify the building. And blowing away the stereotype of people not talking to you if they can avoid it. Blessings.

The Stockport Viaduct - Mania, Industry, Love

One thing an American with his ideas on where labor's independence came from - if we even have those thoughts any anymore - he can find it's some of the germinal roots here.

One thing historical America didn't inherit from the historical Brits like the ones in Stockport is the ability to soberly assess where one went horribly and tragically wrong. They do that in Stockport and, as an American, I am red faced in shame at the incredible storytellers I have met in Stockport and their power to tell their history with the refreshingly cold air of personal accountability.

Stockport - On display is not the slick face of a town shamefully sloughing off it's hard labor past but the opposite - it is a badge of honor... I remember growing up in working class neighborhoods (before the upgrade to Mount Lebanon) makes me feel something of my cultural roots, my (still) hard working father and mother - the love I have for industry and it's manic self-affirmation...

Gardens and Soul

More coming...

• Pros:An attractive and honest town that knows it's past
  • Cons:Conformity is a bit of a problem.
  • In a nutshell:Gardens, quaint houses, great bridges, local ales...a model for the NorthEast Atlantic dream
  • Intro Updated Sep 29, 2006

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2007 at 12:06 PM

The Church of England is great. Not only can an unbeliever go to the services and all, they can actually be a vicar.

• windcity's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2007 at 6:37 AM

We used to live in Stockport, Thats why we now live in Morocco !

• iris2002's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2006 at 10:15 AM

I think there's a "local custom" missing here :)... > bing drinking, but maybe that should fall under warnings and dangers... :P

• zizkov's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2006 at 3:42 AM

Great pages. From the heart, and they made me laugh, as well.

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2006 at 9:27 AM

Your overview of Stockport made me laugh so much, seeing if from an outsiders eyes :-) As for the hat works, Stockport had a massive hatting industry and the local football team were known as the Hatters for that reason. Great page, well done

JamalMorelli

“A nomad I will remain for life, in love with distant and uncharted places.”

Badges & Stats in Stockport

Have you been to Stockport?