"Stockport... the Strong Silent Type" Top 5 Page for this destination Stockport by JamalMorelli
Stockport Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 390 photos
Haven't figured what I'll say here yet... just inspired by a mysterious man on the bus poiltely ranting "It could be a cathedral. It's not. They won't let Stockport be a real city and a have a cathedral." Thinking about you Mr MultipleFacePiercings. And thanks for helping me identify the building. And blowing away the stereotype of people not talking to you if they can avoid it. Blessings.
One thing an American with his ideas on where labor's independence came from - if we even have those thoughts any anymore - he can find it's some of the germinal roots here.
One thing historical America didn't inherit from the historical Brits like the ones in Stockport is the ability to soberly assess where one went horribly and tragically wrong. They do that in Stockport and, as an American, I am red faced in shame at the incredible storytellers I have met in Stockport and their power to tell their history with the refreshingly cold air of personal accountability.
Stockport - On display is not the slick face of a town shamefully sloughing off it's hard labor past but the opposite - it is a badge of honor... I remember growing up in working class neighborhoods (before the upgrade to Mount Lebanon) makes me feel something of my cultural roots, my (still) hard working father and mother - the love I have for industry and it's manic self-affirmation...
- Pros:An attractive and honest town that knows it's past
- Cons:Conformity is a bit of a problem.
- In a nutshell:Gardens, quaint houses, great bridges, local ales...a model for the NorthEast Atlantic dream
Just an early observation - people seem to form deeper bonds with their pets than with other people. Open for... more travel advice
I will add more later - suffice to say it is lovely, inspiring, spiritual, filled with wonderful people. Thank God. more travel advice
- Tourist Trap?
- See All Metro
- See All Hooking Up at Bredbury Hall
- An umbrella and Wellington Boots -...
- See All Stockporto Bennisimo
JamalMorelli's Related Pages
Stockport Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stockport... the Strong Silent Type"
- "A week-end in Stockport"
- "A Tudor Gem"
- "Stockport - a cool place to live"
- "I love Stockport!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stockport
- Hotels in Stockport
- Transportation in Stockport
- Nightlife in Stockport
- Restaurants in Stockport
- Shopping in Stockport
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stockport
- 47 Reviews
- 154 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Stockport?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stockport
- Posted in Travel Essaouira Forum "Re: Anyone been ripped off by the..."
- created a Stockport Travelogue "Bramhall in Stockport, Cheshire, England."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bramhall in Stockport, Cheshire, England."
- Wrote a Review Bell Ringing - Call to Prayer in Stockport Local Customs
- Commented on one of prisoner's Stockport travel pages
Photos in StockportSee All Photos (154)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 288 reviews, 564 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fes Intro, 68 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockport Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 28 reviews, 66 photos, 1 travelogue
- Staithes Intro, 18 reviews, 30 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 22 reviews, 16 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volubilis Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Imlil Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sedgefield Intro, 3 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Casablanca Intro, 1 review, 18 photos, 1 travelogue