"Imlil - my third wife and home to the Unseen" Imlil by JamalMorelli
Imlil Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 113 photos
Imlil is at the base of the shrine called Sidi Shamharush, who was described a jinn. In the mountains just outside UltraTouristPooVortex Marrakesh we are still in ancient sorcerer’s mountains. Shamharush is the king of the unseen, the greatest of the jinn.
When I noticed that his tomb rests over a network of tiny waterfalls (that all have female names) I realized that his title of Sultan of the Jinn, would be realized in this geological feature.
Tantalizing to traveling correspondence table fetishists would be this - he is known as the King of the Jinn and his observance day is Jeudi, Jupiter’s Day. Waterfalls and groves were also named after women who could be beholden to Zeus. So, here you are in a little mountain village whose “Islamic Saint” almost surely has some connection to a Greek God (and earlier...).
A black bull was sacrificed every year at Shamharush’s shrine right up until the festival’s somewhat recent implosion
because of tribal/local/spiritual politics.
- Pros:A most spiritually satisfying mountain adventure...
They sell chickens, goats, sheep - through the butcher in town. You can buy one and have it brought to the shrine of... more travel advice
JamalMorelli's Related Pages
Imlil Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gateway to Jebel Toubkal and the High Atlas"
- "Imlil village and Toubkal massif walks"
- "A day out in Imlil"
- "Imlil - my third wife and home to the Unseen"
- "Gateway to the high atlas"
- "Marakesh to Imlil-climbing Toubkal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Imlil
- Hotels in Imlil
- Transportation in Imlil
- Nightlife in Imlil
- Restaurants in Imlil
- Shopping in Imlil
- Warnings and Dangers in Imlil
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Imlil
- 5 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Imlil?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Imlil
Photos in ImlilSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 288 reviews, 564 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fes Intro, 68 reviews, 227 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockport Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 28 reviews, 66 photos, 1 travelogue
- Staithes Intro, 18 reviews, 30 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 22 reviews, 16 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volubilis Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Imlil Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sedgefield Intro, 3 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Casablanca Intro, 1 review, 18 photos, 1 travelogue