"Volubuis, Roman Ghost Town in Morocco" Top 5 Page for this destination Volubilis by JamalMorelli

Volubilis Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 217 photos

Rome's Maghreb

Horny to shoot in a moroccan ghost town, I left the thriving city of Fes to the completely abandoned Volubulis, a grand Roman settlement dating to the 3rd century BC. (see http://whc.unesco.org/pg.cfm?cid_31&id_site=836 for the archeaological evaluation of Volubulis)
Looking at the mosaics, the gardens, the columns, the wide palatial rooms - people fell in love here and their children danced here. Worshipped gods here. Made animals kill people for show here. LIVED HERE. Something in my nature is always drawn to vestiges, as if I have the power to trace an escape route from my logical mind by approaching an solar origin of any kind.
I picture the brotherhoods of Morocco here - playing songs to the spirits of the sea, and those Saturnian spirits, for women who are the daughters of Dionysian trance. Following the pagan blood sports long dried, I find the pictorial game of a Roman Islam will echo behaviors impossible to resist orbiting while equally impossible to continue in practice. OUR SITUATION...

• Last visit to Volubilis: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 29, 2006

JamalMorelli

“A nomad I will remain for life, in love with distant and uncharted places.”

Badges & Stats in Volubilis

Have you been to Volubilis?