"A driving tour around the island of Ireland" Ireland by SurfaceTravel
Ireland Travel Guide: 15,729 reviews and 35,359 photos
We spent two weeks driving around the island of Ireland, October 2004. Click the links on this page to see the details and tips. We took the overnight ferry from Birkenhead to Dublin.
- spent a few days in Dublin, checking out Trinity College and the Book of Kells, Temple Bar, Grafton Street, St. Stephen's Green, Merrion Square, the Old Jameson Distillery, the Monument of Light (the Spire), and the National Museum.
- drove south from Dublin and stopped at Glenmacnass Waterfall and the beautiful Glendalough monastic settlement.
- continued south to County Wicklow, stopped at the lighthouse at Hook Head, and stayed overnight at Waterford, where we visited the Waterford Crystal factory.
- drove west through County Cork and through Healy Pass (shown below), and stayed overnight at Kenmare.
- spent the morning at Killarney National Park, then went north through Counties Kerry and Clare, stopped at the Craggaunowen Project (where Tim Severin's Brendan lies), and spent the night in Galway.
So far, it had only rained a few hours a day, and usually when we were driving or in museums anyway. We hadn't really gotten soaked yet.
From Galway, we drove north through Counties Galway, Mayo, and Donegal in pouring rain all day, ending up in Killybegs for the night. The next day the weather cleared up. We went a short way down the road to Kilcar and spent some time on the beach and then at a weaver's place where we bought some Christmas presents. Then we walked along the cliffs near Slieve League.
- drove the scenic route to the beautiful Glenveagh National Park in County Donegal, spent the afternoon there, then spent the night in Letterkenny.
See the Northern Ireland page for details of the rest of the trip, including Derry, Belfast, the Giant's Causeway, and County Down.
We then took the ferry from Belfast to Birkenhead.
SurfaceTravel's Related Pages
Ireland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of my favorite places in Europe"
- "Ireland - I wouldn't start from here"
- "Leprechauns Make Me Do It!!!"
- "IRELAND - The Adventure"
- "My Ireland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ireland
- Hotels in Ireland
- Transportation in Ireland
- Nightlife in Ireland
- Restaurants in Ireland
- Shopping in Ireland
- Warnings and Dangers in Ireland
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ireland
- 8 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Ireland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ireland
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 24 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 6 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nevsehir Ili Intro, 3 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ha Long Intro, 1 review, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bermuda Intro, 3 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 2 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 1 review, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos
No friends yet.
Top Ireland hotels
- Dublin Hotels
- 5144 Reviews - 9451 Photos
- Killarney Hotels
- 275 Reviews - 600 Photos
- Sligo Hotels
- 153 Reviews - 247 Photos
- Kilkenny Hotels
- 301 Reviews - 641 Photos
- Limerick Hotels
- 268 Reviews - 294 Photos
- Cork Hotels
- 619 Reviews - 1586 Photos
- Waterford Hotels
- 169 Reviews - 420 Photos
- Galway Hotels
- 509 Reviews - 929 Photos
- Westport Hotels
- 47 Reviews - 64 Photos
- Ennis Hotels
- 62 Reviews - 111 Photos
- Wexford Hotels
- 124 Reviews - 210 Photos
- Gorey Hotels
- 7 Hotels
- Wicklow Hotels
- 79 Reviews - 234 Photos
- Tralee Hotels
- 60 Reviews - 62 Photos
- Clifden Hotels
- 37 Reviews - 173 Photos