"A mini-surface trip to Tarutao from Malaysia" Ko Tarutao by SurfaceTravel

Ko Tarutao Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 22 photos

The Interest

I first became interested in Ko Tarutao when I read a book I had picked up at Bangkok Airport years ago, The Pirates of Tarutao by Paul Adirex. Although it's obvious that English is the second or third language of the author or translator, it tells an interesting story of Allied Prisoners of War (POW) kept here during WW2. As the Japanese began to lose, supplies coming to the island became scant. The prison director was forced to take desparate measures and committed acts of piracy on passing ships with the help of the prisoners.

The Island

The ferry arrives at Ao Taloh Wow on the east side of the island, and a truck takes you to Ao Pante on the west side, which is where the park headquarters, camp ground, and cottages are. It is a well set-up campground, and the restaurant and cottages are reasonable. Electricity only comes on 18:00 - 24:00, and it is a cold shower.

I did the small hike to the top of the hill just behind the camp, took a boat ride up a river to see the "Crocodile Cave", and toured the Tarutao Prison site. As I was on my own, I met many interesting people, indeed. I met an elderly couple who were professional travel photographer who do hard-core travelling 9 months of the year. I met a fellow from Sweden (I think) who lives there 6 months of the year, in his tent on the beach.

I found out that the US television semi-reality show "Survivor: Thailand" was filmed here in 2002 - 2003.

See the attached travelogues for more photos and details of the Prison site.

For details of how I got here from Langkawi, Malaysia and how I returned to mainland Malaysia, see this trip report.

• In a nutshell:A very interesting destination, good for a couple of nights.
  • Last visit to Ko Tarutao: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 30, 2006

Comments

Badges & Stats in Ko Tarutao

Have you been to Ko Tarutao?

Friends