"Gateway to the Place of Refuge" Honaunau by Nor_Cal_Brad
Honaunau Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 19 photos
Honaunau is a city just up the hill from the Place of Refuge. This was one of the first places that we visited on the Big Island, and I would recommend this as one of the things you must see when you're here. As great as this place looks in the pictures, the digital images don't do the real view justice. There is a visitor information center here where you can learn the interesting history of the Place of Refuge and the Royal Grounds.
Located behind a thick wall made of lava rock, the Royal Grounds are separated from the rest of the Place of Refuge. When the Hawaiian royalty lived here a couple hundred years ago, there were many small, raised "huts" instead of one large palace.
If you are already parked at the visitor center and have brought your snorkeling gear with you in the car, grab your gear and go for a short walk down the road (past the school) where snorkeling is permitted.
- Pros:Beautiful, interesting history, snorkeling nearby, sea turtles, and too much more to list...
- Cons:Sometimes the "vog" can be thick and the view is not as spectacular
- In a nutshell:You will instantly see why the anceint Hawaiian kings liked it here!
Nor_Cal_Brad's Related Pages
Honaunau Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Honaunau
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Honaunau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Honaunau
Photos in HonaunauSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- San Luis Obispo Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos
- Rome Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phoenix Intro, 1 review, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 1 review, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oakland Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
No friends yet.