"Munich - the Last Stop on My European Tour" Munich by Nor_Cal_Brad

Munich Travel Guide: 4,364 reviews and 10,181 photos

Munich - My first real taste of Germany

I had only briefly stopped in Dortmund when I took the flight to Rome, so Munich was my first real taste of German culture. I was talking with some other Americans on the train in from Prague, and one of them was hyping up something called Doner Kebap. Marinated meat shaved off from a rotisserie broiler served with vegetables and yogurt sauce on a pita-like bread. DELICIOUS! I fell in love with this food as soon as I tried it, and besides our meal at the Hofbrauhaus and the small breakfast at the hotel, all I ate was Doner Kebap for the remaining two days in Munich. This is Germany's most popular fast food, and I could taste why! I know I must sound like a company representative or something (I wish I was, then maybe I could eat the food for free), I just really liked Doner Kebap.

Munich During World Cup 2006

I arrived in Munich while the World Cup was in full swing. The town was completely overrun by soccer fans drinking, singing, and shouting all night long in the streets. Germany was playing against Sweden in the Round of 16 in Munich that Saturday, so German fans from all over the nation flocked to the city. We attended the Fan Fest at the Olympic Stadium, and it was possibly the most fun I've ever had associated with sports.

A Must See - Munich's Beer Gardens

No Munich trip is complete without a trip to the Hofbrauhaus. Well, if you like large beers and sausages, you will love this place. I ordered a meal with potatoes and three types of sausages which was very tasty. A liter of German beer washed the meal down nicely, and it was very reasonably priced. The worst part about the Hofbrauhaus is that it can be very loud and overrun by Americans and Brits (and this is coming from a Californian). It's a touristy place, and there are plenty of other beer gardens in Munich, but if you've never been here and you enjoy beer and brats, then you will most likely enjoy the Hofbrauhaus.

• Pros:Doner Kebap is everywhere, very beautiful town
  • Cons:You can feel out of place if you're a broke backpacker like me, so go with friends!
  • In a nutshell:A beautiful, fun Bavarian town
  • Last visit to Munich: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 5, 2006

Comments

Nor_Cal_Brad

“Let's do this!”