"KAMAKURA - A blissful escape from hectic Tokyo!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Kamakura by Pixiekatten
Kamakura Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 473 photos
Since I have noticed that almost every other Kamakura page at VT got the great Daibutsu as the main pic I thought I would have Jizo instead. When visiting Hasedera temple I got strongly affected by the hundreds of small statues in the Jizo hall. Some wore tiny clothes, hats or bibs. They were surrounded by flowers and incense. A truly special place.
A lot more than just templesKamakura has a lot to offer besides temples and the outdoor Buddha. There's shopping alleys, the beach, nice restaurants and cafés, windsurfing... And although many guidebooks suggests Kamakura as a daytrip from Tokyo I am happy I spent 3 days here. I discovered new things every day and at dusk it was pleasant to aimlessly stroll along the warm streets.
The famous Daibutsu. Admire it from a distance or pay a small amount to step inside. Admire the Buddha within...
This amazing statue used to stand inside a temple. But it got washed away in a tsunami. The great Daibutsu however stayed put!
Cafés in Kamakura are in my opinion some of the best in whole of Japan. Not only do most of them have english menus but... more travel advice
At the north corner of the lower level of Hasedera Temple is a red torii gate, which is the entrance to the cave called... more travel advice
Pixiekatten's Related Pages
Kamakura Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KAMAKURA - A blissful escape from hectic Tokyo!!"
- "Kamakura - Old Military Capital"
- "Smaller than Kyoto but just as grand"
- "THE GREAT BUDDHA, ( DAIBUTSU )"
- "Kamakura - The Great Buddha"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kamakura
- Hotels in Kamakura
- Transportation in Kamakura
- Restaurants in Kamakura
- Shopping in Kamakura
- Warnings and Dangers in Kamakura
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kamakura
- 10 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Kamakura?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kamakura
- Posted in Travel Japan Forum "Re: Karatsu kunchi festival 2-4nov"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Great Daibutsu - OPEN AIR BUDDHA"
- updated a Kamakura Travel Page "KAMAKURA - A blissful escape from hectic Tokyo!!"
- Commented on one of Mr.Sparkle's Kamakura travel pages
- Wrote a Review Coffee - The real deal in Kamakura Restaurants
Photos in KamakuraSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 103 reviews, 214 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 43 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 33 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Takayama Intro, 13 reviews, 28 photos
- Malmö Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kamakura Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos
- Sweden Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Iceland Intro, 2 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- China Intro, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Highland Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos