"KAMAKURA - A blissful escape from hectic Tokyo!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Kamakura by Pixiekatten

Kamakura Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 473 photos

Home of the Daibutsu and Jizo

Since I have noticed that almost every other Kamakura page at VT got the great Daibutsu as the main pic I thought I would have Jizo instead. When visiting Hasedera temple I got strongly affected by the hundreds of small statues in the Jizo hall. Some wore tiny clothes, hats or bibs. They were surrounded by flowers and incense. A truly special place.

A lot more than just temples

A lot more than just templesKamakura has a lot to offer besides temples and the outdoor Buddha. There's shopping alleys, the beach, nice restaurants and cafés, windsurfing... And although many guidebooks suggests Kamakura as a daytrip from Tokyo I am happy I spent 3 days here. I discovered new things every day and at dusk it was pleasant to aimlessly stroll along the warm streets.

And here it is... the starattraction

The famous Daibutsu. Admire it from a distance or pay a small amount to step inside. Admire the Buddha within...

This amazing statue used to stand inside a temple. But it got washed away in a tsunami. The great Daibutsu however stayed put!

• Last visit to Kamakura: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 29, 2008

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2007 at 11:28 PM

I remember Daibutsu as a highlight of my trip to Japan 1991. Great page!

• Jun 8, 2007 at 1:24 PM

I was really digging this page until I cam across your warning or danger tip. Had that happened to me, I would have manufactured some chocolate ice cream in my pants.

• cheesecake17's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2007 at 4:16 PM

great page..was there recently , wish I had gone to Hachiman-gu Shrine ...next time..:-)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2007 at 3:52 AM

great tips! sorry about the ice cream.

Pixiekatten

“Religion, is a smile on a dog.”

Badges & Stats in Kamakura

Have you been to Kamakura?