"Magic Russki's Sensually Transmitted Wanderlust" RusskiPower's Profile

Countries lived - 6
Countries visited - 48
Languages spoken fluently - 5
Languages on the enough-to-get-me-around level - 12

There is a theory that wanderlust is transmitted via the milk from the cows that have grazed next to rail tracks.

Where I grew up we had no railways but we had to fly a lot. It must have been my childhood diet of inflight meals or all the aircraft exhaust I have inhailed that travelling is my overriding passion.

I'm a university-trained language teacher with long experience of teaching my mother tongue Russian as well as Japanese, Thai and English at the language school and university level. I majored in Oriental Studies and lived half of my life in Japan, Thailand and Holland where on top of my business career I have always had a part time language teaching job, just for the love of it. This is how I got to teach Japanese people Russian, Dutch people Thai and Thai people English.

I use best hand-picked tutorials and the teaching methods and approaches I have developed based on my own 25-year experience in language learning. I am fluent in five and conversational in a dozen myself. Mastering a language takes both system and fun, I know how to provide both.

Based on my specialist training, solid business background and own international relocation experience, I have developed and successfully taught cultural orientation courses for expats. I give cross-cultural awareness seminars for professionals moving to Thailand, Japan, Russia and the Netherlands (Holland). Based in London, will travel.

I have excellent recommendations from my previous employers and students that can be furnished upon request. I'm available for private coaching in London within Travelcard Zones 1-3.

Japanese, English, Thai, Russian language courses, teacher, translator, interpreter in Central London.

My other cultural/linguistic link: Japanese, Chinese, English, Thai, Russian, Laotian (Isarn) language school, courses, translation, interpreting in Bangkok, Thailand

+++++

As you can see I have dotted this planet quite extensively. I like to think that the massive amounts of effort, time and fossil fuel invested in this activity have not been wasted. I try to share the beauty of the world the way I see it with others in accounts of my travels illustrated with beautiful photographs.

I only post my best pictures (tens out of thousands) and share my cultural insights and surprise discoveries that I think are original. No pictures of the "here we are by the passport control" or "here I am pigging out on the economy class in-flight meal" or "here I am faking a grin in front of I don't know what monument" kind are posted. You also will not find there mind-numbingly detailed descriptions of transportation connections, restaurant checks and hotel service rants that sometimes seem to be the order of the day in travel blogs.

+++++

Normally, my travels are well planned in advance so that I can hit as many worthy spots as possible within a limited span of time -- but it is never a rushed schedule, allowing ample time for immersing in the local atmosphere and soaking in the local vibe. I use Microsoft AutoRoute to create detailed route maps like this: Loire Valley Trip.

Before hitting the road I do an extensive research on local customs, sightseeings, food, accommodation. That helps to steer clear from tourist traps, bland "international" fare, and characterless chain hotels.

The main objective of my trips is aesthetical appreciation of the region. This includes indulging in culinary delights. I always make a point to order food I have never had before.

That is often combined with visiting the settings of my childhood stories and history textbooks. Say, Chinon means a lot to me because that is where François Rablais comes from. The Eiffel Tower for me is something from Jules Verne's "age of steam and iron". And just sitting around in the New York Coffee House in Budapest sends shivers down my spine because it's where Imre Kálmán wrote his music.

More stuff I do on my trips:

- opera/ballet
- ethnographic/historical museums
- spas and hot springs
- national parks
- farm stays
- wild camping (sometimes) - never on regular camping sites
- roadside picnics in scenic spots (e.g., on Francois I's hunting grounds

+++++

One of the greatest pleasures of travelling is local grocery shopping: I always make sure to bring back whatever the area is famous for -- but only those things you can really use, so no mantle-piece dust collectors.

Usually, it's foodstuffs and drinks:

- wine and cheese from the Loire Valley
- horchata from Valencia
- crate of beer from Prague
- fruit and traditional ointments from Thailand
- herbal teas and a gaucho knife from Argentina
- rhum from Cuba
- caviar and chocolate from Russia
- coffee and black pepper from Vietnam.

+++++

On top of long vacations, I make grocery foraging trips to France, granted the closest French city, Lille, is a 2.5-hour drive away. Lille serves me a springboard for longer trips in France, several times a year.

On such trips I combine culture-vulturing and leisurely drives on scenic countryside routes with dining in roadside auberges and filling up the car trunk with the delicious produce of this generous land -- well enough to last me until the next such trip. Sometimes, I even manage to bring back huge platters of seafood, laced with ice in a cool box.

Easter In The Valley Of The Kings: Val De Loire

Favorite travel food and drink

1. Seafood platter in Lille, FR
10. Frutti di mare pizza in Trieste, IT
11. Ice-cold horchata in Madrid, SP
12. Malay fish curry in Penang, MY

Morocco 2006 - The Wonders Of The Kingdom

So far, I have made it to 4 continents - Europe, Asia, Africa and America.

I would love to visit some day more of:

- US Northwest: Las Vegas - Death Valley - Napa Valley - San Francisco - Redwood N. P. - Portland - Seattle - Vancouver - Great Falls - Salt Lake City - Bryce Canyon - Las Vegas

- Latin America: a 4-week fly-and-drive tour of Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, Chile and, hopefully, Bolivia: Rio - Buenos Aires - Montevideo - Cordoba - Termas de Rio Hondo - Salta - Jujuy - Potosi - Antofagasta - Atacama - Santiago - Bariloche? - Mendoza - San Luis - BsAs

- The South And Southwest Of China: Guangzhou - Kunming - Chengdu - Wuhan - Xiamen - Guangzhou

- Renaissance cities and the gentle countryside of Northern Italy;

- road trip of the Palaces And Forts Of Rajasthan

- the countryside of South of France and Northern Spain (roughly the Santiago de Compostella Pilgrimage Route area)

- Indonesia By Land And Sea: Singapore - Medan - Palembang - Pontianak - Kuching - BSB - Jakarta - Borobudur - Surabaya - Denpasar - Singapore

- Hanseatic cities of the Baltic Rim (Bremen to Tallinn)

- South China Sea adventure: Hong-Kong - Macau - Hanoi - Ho Chi Minh City - Manila - Kao-Hsiung - Xiamen - Hong Kong

- road-trip of South Africa: Cape Town - Stellenbosch - Franschhoek - Paarl Wine Route - Betty's Bay - Hermanus - Garden Route - Grahamstown - Port Elizabeth - Durban - Zululand - Mbabane ( Swaziland) - Kruger N. P. - Blyde River Canyon - Pretoria - Johannesburg - Sun City - - Bloemfontein - Gariep Dam - Cape Town

- Zanzibar

Apr 16, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Privet! Kak dela?

• Babzz's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Five languages +! You're amazing :) Where are you from originally and what sort of work do you do?

• xuessium's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2007 at 5:36 AM

Just checked.....didn't see it though, mate....

• Mark69's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2007 at 6:24 AM

Fantastic pages, I love your webalbums! Hope you are well? M

• JonnaB's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2007 at 1:19 AM

Yeah, I liked the page! You got very much travel experience. Good travel wisdom. Have a nice day!

• Fernandocramos's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2007 at 7:24 PM

You are a gourmet man and do gourmet trips and didnt visit Brazil yet ?! I think you are wasting your time, because we have the best food in the world here in Brazil.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2007 at 2:29 AM

Hi, at Grossglockner I dont see a problem. trafic is not really very heavy, parkings are large enough and needle-pin-bends dont exist. Even buses are going there, so why should'nd you as well, as long as the car is strong enough

• lindsaylovestravel's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2007 at 8:44 AM

great culinary trips!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2006 at 10:26 PM

Sure that the Meteora are a must see in Greece. You will for sure enjoy them!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2006 at 7:45 AM

Thanks Russki Power for a nice comment on my Moscow-page. No I prefer to be a VT amateur... What a strong nickname you have! Do you really believe in Russian Power in Russia or in Amsterdam?

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
RusskiPower's Profile Photo

RusskiPower

“There's too much beauty upon this earth for lonely men to bear.”

Real Name