"San Jose - Silicon Valley" Top 5 Page for this destination San Jose by trvlrtom
San Jose Travel Guide: 376 reviews and 665 photos
Suburbs and strip malls define much of the San Jose area. There are, however, some notable locations that merit attention. Downtown is slowly revitalizing, if not as a shopping district, as a place for dining and going to clubs and bars. Neighborhoods like the Rose Garden, Naglee Park and Willow Glen have many examples of fine residential architecture, including Victorian, Craftsman and many mid 20th century Eichlers. Lincoln Avenue in Willow Glen is very popular for having a thriving small business district, with various shops and restaurants.
As the metropolitan area expanded throughout the San Francisco Bay area after World War Two, what were once small towns grew together. Today these areas still have attractive shopping streets that have a healthy pedestrian life, with restaurants, coffee shops etc. Close to San Jose are downtown Campbell, Los Gatos, Saratoga and Mountain View. Further up the penninsula toward San Francisco are Palo Alto, Menlo Park, San Mateo and Burlingame, each with their own attributes and local attractions.
One of the advantages of San Jose is its central location in northern California. There is a train that runs to San Francisco and takes about an hour, with a link to SFO airport. From San Jose it is also just a quick trip over to the coast. A popular destination is Santa Cruz, known for its beach scene, the mountains and wineries, the University and the cosmopolitan atmosphere that comes with it.
San Jose is in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, and has experienced tremendous growth in the last 50 years. Newer buildings characterize much of the downtown as well as surrounding communities and suburbs. San Jose and many communities, however, have older core areas and neighborhoods. Adjacent to the old Peralta Adobe in San Jose, for example, you will see new skyscrapers going up.
San Jose was the first city to be founded in California, by members of the de Anza expedition from what is now Arizona. An original adobe building from that era, the Peralta adobe, sits nearly under the shadows of this new building. The new condos with "sexy views" serve as a backdrop for an old statue of early settlers. Neighborhoods adjacent to downtown have many examples of old homes, some beautifully restored and maintained, others in a sorry state that may lead only to demolition. Another old, original adobe house, the Roberto Adobe, sits quietly and almost hidden between downtown and the well-established Willow Glen neighborhood, south of highway 280. It is an example of the small architectural and historical surprises that one can find in Silicon Valley.
Many San Jose streets are lined with palms. You will find them downtown as well in some residential zones. Most of the trees are not native species, however.
San Jose's only national sports team, the hockey San Jose Sharks, have their home just behind these palms. An odd mix, don't you think? Palm trees and hockey.
Hakone is a wonderful place to visit, for its beautiful gardens, architecture and as an oasis of calm. It's the oldest... more travel advice
Trials is an fun little pub with an authentic old time atmosphere. It is located in an old, historic 19th century... more travel advice
trvlrtom's Related Pages
San Jose Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Jose - Silicon Valley"
- "The 411 on San Jose"
- "North on Hwy 1, across Hwy 156, then up 101..."
- "California's Original Capital City: San Jose!"
- "Born, raised...yeah I know the way"
- "Heart of Silicon Valley... San Jose"
- "~San Jose~"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Jose
- Hotels in San Jose
- Transportation in San Jose
- Nightlife in San Jose
- Restaurants in San Jose
- Shopping in San Jose
- Warnings and Dangers in San Jose
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Jose
- 51 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to San Jose?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Jose
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The 25 Most Overrated Places..."
- Wrote a Review Visit Hakone Japanese Gardens about Hakone Japanese Gardens in San Jose Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visit Hakone Japanese Gardens"
- updated a San Jose Travel Page "San Jose - Silicon Valley"
- Commented on one of Ewingjr98's San Jose travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Jose Intro, 51 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 36 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Cruz Intro, 33 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 26 reviews, 34 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buenos Aires Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- London Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kailua-Kona Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos
- Maui Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos