"San Francisco" San Francisco by trvlrtom
San Francisco Travel Guide: 9,083 reviews and 19,112 photos
My wife and I visit San Francisco several time a year, and have a few favorite stops. I really need to get to work on the SF page, but in a nutshell, here's what I think are some priorities for a short visit:
Walk through Chinatown & North Beach. Try dim sum and/or pizza.
Stop in City Lights Bookstore
Walk the steps up to Coit Tower (don't drive unless you have difficulty walking) See the frescoes inside the tower.
Check out Union Square. If you are wearing good clothes, go up to the Top of the Mark for an expensive drink and a priceless view.
Go the the old ferry building to see the gourmet foods and shops.
Ride a trolley car, (or a cable car if you want to be a tourist)
Park on the west side of Golden Gate bridge, walk the headlands and take the trail to the bridge.
Drive through beautiful streets on the way to the Palace of Legion of Honor.
Drive down the coast, maybe stop at the Beach Chalet.
Drive to Alamo Square to see the postcard view of the row of Victorians (don't forget to curb your wheels!)
Golden Gate park - ride bikes if you can, rather than drive.
Do a little research and pick one or two museums or exhibits.
Plan your evening around a cool place in the Mission, or go to Shanghai 1930 or Enrico's for dinner and good jazz.
If I'm going to the City, I try to look in advance to see what exhibits are in town. There is always something special. Last time we stopped to see the Orchid Festival and show at Fort Mason. It's the biggest show if its kind in the US (maybe the world).
Market St. pierces the City, leading from the Embarcadero and into the Castro and other neighborhoods. The busy financial district, close to the bay, is often crossed by tourists going between points like the Embarcadero, SOMA, Chinatown and Union Square. Take a look at some of the buildings and you will see beauties from the early 1920 up to today, as seen in the reflection off a modern skyscraper on the south side of Market.
Yes, Greens is a vegetarian restaurant, but most important, it is a great restaurant. Even though I am not a vegetarian... more travel advice
For fantastic views of Golden Gate Bridge, Marin Headlands and Lands End that are free of crowds, avoid the parking lot... more travel advice
trvlrtom's Related Pages
San Francisco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bagdad by the Bay"
- "San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
- "San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
- "SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"
- "San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"
- "I Left My Heart..."
- "San Francisco is Really Shaking Things Up!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Francisco
- Hotels in San Francisco
- Transportation in San Francisco
- Nightlife in San Francisco
- Restaurants in San Francisco
- Shopping in San Francisco
- Warnings and Dangers in San Francisco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Francisco
- 17 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 72 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to San Francisco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Francisco
Photos in San FranciscoSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Jose Intro, 51 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 36 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Cruz Intro, 33 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 26 reviews, 34 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buenos Aires Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- London Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kailua-Kona Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos
- Maui Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (17)
Latest San Francisco hotel reviews
- Hampton Inn & Suites San Francisco-Burlingame
- 187 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Pensione International
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Jul 24, 2007
- Embassy Suites Hotel San Francisco Airport
- 313 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- European Guest House
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 7, 2013
- Clift - Morgans Hotel Group
- 1042 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Rodeway Inn Civic Center San Francisco
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 7, 2013
- Hostelling International San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
- 155 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Mission Inn
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Buena Vista Motor Inn
- 245 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- Union Street Inn
- 339 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Biltmore Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2011
- The Grove Inn
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 27, 2012