"Nevada City - A Gold Country Nugget" Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City by trvlrtom
Nevada City Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 319 photos
Nevada City is on the northern end of a string of late 1800s era mining towns that run along the western foothills of the Sierra Nevadas. This is perhaps the most picturesque of the towns, with almost 100 buildings that remain from the 19th century. The entire downtown is noted as a registered historic place.
Nevada City has risen from the doldrums of the mid 20th century to find an economic resurgence based on tourism and some resettlement as 2nd homes and a place to retire. Nevada City has a lot of charm and things to do and see, as well as neighboring Grass Valley. It is a worthwhile stopover.
The Sierra Nevada foothills are home to many wineries, most of them opened in the last 20 years, but a few with links to the 19th century. Nevada City has a few places to taste and/or buy local and regional wines, including this store.
Nevada City wouldn't survive as we know it without tourism; the mining industry that built the town is long gone. Up and down Broad Street and its nearby lanes there are dozens of shops, coffee shops, restaurants, etc, most, but not all supported by visitors. The nice thing is that the architectural integrity of the town has been preserved. You won't find ugly signs protruding into the street or skyline, or chain stores, or fast food restaurants. A welcome relieve to the visitor.
Areas surrounding Nevada City provide a wealth of tourist and recreational opportunities. South Yuba River State Park is great for hiking and swimming, and Malakoff Diggins State Park has many restored mining era buildings in the town of North Blomfield.
This park provides history of hydraulic mining in California's Gold Country as well as some odd landscape views from the... more travel advice
The South Yuba River State Park runs 20 miles along the South Yuba River canyon from Englebright Reservoir below... more travel advice
trvlrtom's Related Pages
Nevada City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nevada City- Making Gold From Its Historic Past"
- "Relive the Gold Rush"
- "Nevada City - A Gold Country Nugget"
- "THE GOLD COUNTRY GETAWAY, NEVADA CITY"
- "Old Time Gold Mining Town"
- "Nevada City,California"
- "Nevada City - Queen of the Northern Mines"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nevada City
- Hotels in Nevada City
- Transportation in Nevada City
- Nightlife in Nevada City
- Restaurants in Nevada City
- Shopping in Nevada City
- Warnings and Dangers in Nevada City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nevada City
- 26 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Nevada City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nevada City
Photos in Nevada CitySee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Jose Intro, 51 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 36 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Cruz Intro, 33 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 26 reviews, 34 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buenos Aires Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- London Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kailua-Kona Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos
- Maui Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos